How to send a PM (personal message)

How to Join. Ask for help about forum features and functions. Admins and Moderators post announcements in here.

Moderator: Baker

How to send a PM (personal message)

Postby PaulaO » 18 Jan 2012, 11:48

UPDATED 1/18/2012 (latest update will be underlined)

Like most forums, LFF is set up so we can send each other messages within this system vs email or "out loud" in a post. This works great because a lot of us don't want to wantonly share our email addresses.

So, here's how to do it:

At the top of the page, below the text Lesbian Fiction Forum, is a list of stuff available to you as a member. Click the one that says "0 new messagges" (or it may say a different number if you have a message waiting).

On the left of that screen will be a list of various stuff including your Private Messages.

Inbox is, well, duh, your inbox. Any messages you have are sitting there. If you have a new one, it will have a number after it.
Keepers is one I made for myself of PMs I want to keep because I have a very short memory. You won't have this one.
Outbox is messages you have sent but will only contain messages that the receiver has not read yet. In this case, two new members have yet to read their Welcome Wagon post so, there they sit.
Sent messages are the ones you have sent and have been received by the other member.
Compose messages is where you go to write a new PM. We'll go there in a sec.
The last two I'm not going to get into here. One is where your drafts are kept and the others is similar to your email filters.

So, click on Compose Messages. Writing a PM is very similar to writing a forum post.

Let's say I want to send a PM to Deej for some silly reason. There's a few ways I can select who to send it to.

- I enter her username in that big box on the left (must be spelled correctly!) *1
- Select Add To.
- The screen will reload and now Deej's username will appear over where it should be in the To:.

Image Image

If I want to send a PM to more than one person, it gets a little more complicated.

Method 1 (this is the way to go if you are unsure of spelling)
- In the frame on the left, under the big white box, select 'Find a Member'. This will open a popup screen.
- Click on the word 'Joined' once. This puts the usernames in the order in which they joined LFF. *2
- Find who you want to send it to and select the box to the far right in line with their names *3
- When finished selecting, Scroll all the way down
- Click on the 'Select Marked' button in the middle near the bottom.

The popup will go away and then their names will appear in the "To".

Method 2
- Enter each person's username one at a time, hitting the 'Add To' button for each one. This works best and fastest if you are sure of the spelling.
- Enter each person's name, hitting the 'Enter' key after each name (except the last one). Click the 'Add To' button.*4

Type your message just like you do a post then hit the 'submit' button at the bottom and off it goes.

_______

*1 - The username has to be spelled correctly. If not, there will be red text above the icon selection that says: The requested users to be added do not exist.
*2 - There are a lot of ways to find the person you are looking for! This is just the method I use.
*3 - Do not send anything to the username "Dummy". That is the one Deej and Baker use for testing purposes.
*4 - This method did not work for me several times but now it does. Go figure.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: How to send a PM (personal message)

Postby PaulaO » 18 Jan 2012, 11:48

Let me know if there are any changes to be made.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 18 Jan 2012, 11:50

I like how you've used illustrations. Nice.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Deb » 18 Jan 2012, 12:06

Ahhh, I never saw the little check boxes on the right for multiple sending. Thanks Paula! :-)
AKA: "Dyb"
Deb
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby PaulaO » 18 Jan 2012, 15:49

You are welcome!

It would make sense to be able to put more than one name at a time in the first big blank box but it isn't possible. I've tried one on each line, each separated by commas, and a combination of the two but it will only put the top name over in the "TO:"
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 19 Jan 2012, 01:53

Actually P, I was able to enter multiple names by typing the first name FranW, hit the return and then add Baker without commas.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 19 Jan 2012, 05:38

Huh. It never worked for me. I tried it that way several times.

And now it works. W.T.F.?
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 19 Jan 2012, 05:43

Original post has been updated to reflect my inability to click buttons properly. Duh-er
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Help! and Admin