Choosing a Username

How to Join. Ask for help about forum features and functions. Admins and Moderators post announcements in here.

Moderator: Baker

Choosing a Username

Postby Baker » 31 Mar 2012, 09:36

We've had some new registrants wonder why they get deleted by our spam killer. The answer is simple: the username you chose is indistinguishable from spam. We get a lot of spam. Here are the last 4 days spam registrants. You have to pick a username that will stand out as being genuine from amongst examples like these. (Hint: human names are a good start.)

MarkSpami, mybeantee, Nuxeris, Themainguy, Blatadal, Lauspinna, evinginge, HunseFews, rzerqx, lenov, roaurwkjPA, bxlzwmwt, WewReenly, Mitcheliuu, Olivio, ccaeher, ritsheepe, cqqptdcwcx, andrienko, Reultguef, callSype, meassulge, cosme2wam, agitwonia, simbevaima, obihlkhk, tkfonelx, EntiteFes, HemaWrery, YsykbkpajU, rorberrip, jeyiowh, sheplyjese, ExitrareE, ZSxtasa, Mundnetar, meebtetty, myslem, cotSmotly, IceraMica, mmzuikb, BrookeV97, Buidgeped, cnjtnkntmx, glovertsd, Quiritaaco, Occusuasp, qoudyejkrj, meebtetty, Nuzexap, CloriMero, blueksmer, jurekowic, SodoNeony, ArrawlGal, forestTorm, SqknbrbgoM, jordanlyd9, Gentopack, sheplyjese, mumenetle, FeerIhdcae, Viuehdmx, VmoqhpopiL, rittywarI, lenov, pekspeazy, FolzqqwqoX, jtgjmkjif, neurldulk, FehfsczduZ, Virzepol, AFFEXONSE, feelStet, ZGMCYB138, Skopina, dengolee90, HcdnsnvbcG, Oxiclenen, Gentopace, Naomi_Fevy, aajvxykix, joychoash, Pratarern, AltellRem, Yahocaun, JefkdapjpY, seemaCite, tenderwolf, Gurtupov, havaemor, ScunsemuS, emespmvubv, anintelve, RhinoQueen, ranguarcE, ExparlLar, vzmyriaeze, DeencedaX, jurekowic, Moosehater, YKqfmblys, LagAlgona, joshHen, Lunterik, rvibramoqd, Pearpexia, RxpmatcffL, Magicftm, hiyronshox, Ererpraic, QkrpbgnezK, Lussiuyer, juneGypE, Immulmila, MYepyys, EnessePop, nhgtds, lenov, gvenfupe, Toottobby, ypedpq, Dyncerymn, joychoash, jurekowic, YapwnzgaeT, Reexpayday, Lutrixop, Qamarjkk, Denisew, ScunsemuS, Vinny, SpikeJed, embambkag, Sumroket, blueksmer, agibiablet, sicIonism, Scerjerce, sheplyjese, chu082011, meassulge, thego8czf, Zemchicsyi, northfoes, kimanpex, greenPoor, CemsScerm, DpvveritkY, MfkkwtrinQ, zxcknq, Civacapy, Plussylic, wolfgirl, Oxiclenen, neurldulk, Pearpexia, Dopassubs, ldoiqlyh, widwayTit.

If your username does get nuked--which means you don't receive an email from an admin to confirm your registration before your account is activated--perhaps you'd like to rethink your choice of username. You might also like to take the time to email one of the admins or mods to let us know you're a real person and not spam so that we can ensure your registration is processed rather than junked.

Thanks.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: Choosing a Username

Postby Crisco » 31 Mar 2012, 19:33

RhinoQueen and tenderwolf? :lol:
Crisco
Enthusiatically participating
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Nurse Jo » 31 Mar 2012, 22:24

Some people obviously have fartoo much free time.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 01 Apr 2012, 00:21

Jo, I came into this thread at your post and read it first as, "some people...fart too much." lol Yes, there's that, too.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 Apr 2012, 07:00

lol

Spamming is automated, Jo. They use some shitty algorithm to make up a username, which is why we get so much gibberish. Occasionally you'll see something like Crisco points out, which looks like real words. When that happens, the next check is the email address the registrant uses. There are a lot of sites on the web where they list spammers' fake emails.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Lilien » 23 Apr 2012, 10:43

ElaineB wrote:Jo, I came into this thread at your post and read it first as, "some people...fart too much." lol Yes, there's that, too.

rofl Omg, this brought me to tears.
"When I die, bury me face down so the world can kiss my ass."
Lilien
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Apr 2012, 00:19

Vinny? Why was Vinny dumped. Not that he'd be joining this list, but I wonder if my cousin Vinny has had any problems getting on lists...I'll have to ask him.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 29 Apr 2012, 04:45

Another forum I frequent recently moved to their own space and when I went to register as PaulaO, it wouldn't let me, The admin looked it up and said that either my IP address was listed as from a known spammer and had been associated with that username or that username was listed. Probably the first. Unless your internet provider uses static IP addresses, yours can change.

It's a sleep apnea site so I use PaulaO2 instead. I think it fits just fine. lol rofl
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Apr 2012, 07:08

PaulaO2...awesome! lol
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 29 Apr 2012, 07:58

I've actually closed registrations on this board. Not sure what we're going to do long-term, but for now I don't want to deal with spam.
Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help! and Admin