Do I publish or do I post online???

Author forum: Sandra Barret

Do I publish or do I post online???

Postby sbarret » 21 Jan 2011, 13:55

So I'm within two chapters of finishing this SF story I've been working on for..well..years. (my writing speed tanked when I started the archaeology classes).

My biggest dilemma now is do I want to go through the trials and tribulations of trying to get it published... Or do I want to pop it online and call it a day?

The benefits of publication would be having a nice book with my name on it to stick on a shelf, and, the lessons I'd learn from a good editor. The drawbacks would be that hefty editing cycle, and the self promotion (which I suck at).

The benefits of going online would be less editing and instant gratification (based on hit counts or feedback), and the ability to move on to the next burning story in my head. The drawbacks would be limiting any future publication attempts, and of course zero learning cuz there would be no formal editor helping me out.

thoughts? Advice? Opinions?
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Re: Do I publish or do I post online???

Postby FranW » 21 Jan 2011, 14:56

I'd add into the mix the reminder that self publishing a free-to-read book can be a mixed blessing for one's career and "name brand". On one hand, it's likely to feed your hungry fans and keep you in their minds, and also to attract new readers who are looking for free-to-read stuff and have never run across you before. Some of the new readers, if they like the free book, may then shell out for your older works, boosting your backlist sales. On the other hand, unedited work may be of a lower quality than your prior books. A book that suffers from its lack of editing may turn off your fans and new readers alike. So it really depends on how you think the quality of this book will stack up to your previous (edited, published) works. Is this one something you want readers who are new to Sandra Barret judging your writing abilities on? Is this something that will please your fans as much as your previous books?

Also, bear in mind that the "hefty editing cycle", while time consuming (and hard work and demoralising and a pain in the ass) always improves your craft, so it'll benefit not just this book but all your future works. Assuming that is that you intend to write and publish more in the future.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 21 Jan 2011, 17:10

Doesn't it take self-promotion anyway to get readers to come to your website? Or are you thinking of someplace like Bards?
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 22 Jan 2011, 04:42

It all depends on why you write and what you want to get from it. The kind of feedback you might get from a free posting would likely be gushing "oh I looooooove you" and not particularly constructive or educational. While helping your ego, it won't do much for your craft. So it depends on what you want. I haven't finished a novel yet so can't comment on the finding a publisher, working with an editor, promoting it stuff. Maybe it's not worth it.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby sbarret » 22 Jan 2011, 06:07

FranW wrote:
Also, bear in mind that the "hefty editing cycle", while time consuming (and hard work and demoralising and a pain in the ass) always improves your craft, so it'll benefit not just this book but all your future works. Assuming that is that you intend to write and publish more in the future.

Yes, I'd miss the edit cycle. But that last bit IS the big question - I do plan to write in the future... dunno if I plan to PUBLISH in the future again (or if it would even matter in this lesfic universe we live in, really).

I don't have delusions of going outside lesfic/micropress anytime in the future.
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby sbarret » 22 Jan 2011, 06:09

Sacchi wrote:Doesn't it take self-promotion anyway to get readers to come to your website? Or are you thinking of someplace like Bards?

Good point. I was thinking of a separate blog like I think KGMcGregor (sp) does. But you're right, I'd get nobody ;-) I could tell the kind folks at uberetc about it and that would draw some peeps. But if I put it up at the Bard, that would get its own attention w/o the selfpromo I don't do.
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby sbarret » 22 Jan 2011, 06:13

ElaineB wrote:I haven't finished a novel yet so can't comment on the finding a publisher, working with an editor, promoting it stuff. Maybe it's not worth it.

A good editor is worth the effort, but seems somewhat unfair to the publisher if I'm crap at promotion.

As for why I write - I enjoy getting the story out. I also enjoy improving my skills as a writer. This story is definitely better than prior published stories, but a good editor could I'm sure take it to the next level as well.

decisions decisions. The other problem is it's only a novella, so can't be published really. I have a second-half in mind, at which point the two combined would make a complete novel capable of being published.
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby FranW » 22 Jan 2011, 08:53

While I think most authors do *some* promotion, I personally believe that most sales come through marketing, and marketing is the publisher's job.

Have you considered subbing the novella outside the lesfic pond? Frex:
Damnation Books (http://www.damnationbooks.com/submissions.php)
Holly Lisle's Rebel Tales (http://rebeltales.com/queries/home.html)
Samhain (http://www.samhainpublishing.com/general-information/)
Queered Fiction (http://www.queeredfiction.com/submissions)
Artemis Press (http://www.artemispress.com/html/for_authors.html)
Carina (http://carinapress.com/blog/submission-guidelines/)
Gigonotosaurus (http://giganotosaurus.org/submission-guidelines/)
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby sbarret » 22 Jan 2011, 11:41

Actually the Lethe press novella line might work too. So I guess there are options out there if I decide I want to try for them.
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Return to The Broken Pencil