Tell us about your latest book, Paula!

Author forum: Paula Offutt

Tell us about your latest book, Paula!

Postby FranW » 27 Feb 2012, 10:56

Hey, P, I've heard a rumour that you just reached The End of a new book. Can you tell us a bit about it?
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Tell us about your latest book, Paula!

Postby PaulaO » 27 Feb 2012, 11:52

rofl rofl lol lol rofl rofl

Well, since you asked.... ;)

To Sleep is a science fiction novel, written in first person. The raw, unedited version is over 100K words. The MC is Karen Miller, a nurse attending night school classes for pre-med in Philadelphia. An asteroid we have been studying (the one that came through a short while ago) changes course and heads to Earth (it was a scout ship disguised as a rock so they could observe us). Along with it is another space craft but much, much bigger. Two others show up a few hours later. The story is about what she experiences beyond that point. Time wise, the entire book covers less than an Earth year.

The title reflects that nearly every time she goes to sleep, she wakes up to something different. There's a huge twist to the story that used to be the ending when I tried it the first time. But it felt like such a drop that I changed it to be the middle. So there's two different realities, the one before and the one after. The problem Lorna is having as she reads it is she feels there are no details. That is on purpose. The details slowly increase until the twist. But she doesn't like that. I say that's what edits is for and to either stop reading or hush and read on. She left the room so I'm not sure what she's doing. rofl lol

If anything, this book is about what we perceive as reality and how we deal with it all. Do we grow or flop? Does adversity make us better or just different? How do we react based on those around us? It is also about genetic homosexuals being the next phase in Homo sapiens' evolution which is way cool.

I'd say this is a 'soft' science fiction book because of what I did with genetics. I did a lot of research as I went along but left a lot of it vague. I don't want to put the reader to sleep with the info dump of nucleotides, phosphates, and codons.

I've never watched the Matrix movies but from what little I know of it, the twist is along those lines. And it has Men in Black tossed in, too. I am unsure how to present the book due to that twist. Would it ruin it for the reader? Or make it better? Not sure.

I'm really excited about it and love this story. I've tried first person before but this is the first time I have made it past a handful of pages.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 28 Feb 2012, 05:17

Sounds cool! :-)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 28 Feb 2012, 06:12

Sounds very cool indeed! Writing multiple realities must be quite a challenge, but fascinating!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 28 Feb 2012, 07:12

Lorna was all nit picky about it yesterday but then she came to the office and put her Nook down. She said "Your book must be better than I say it is because I've burnt the chicken twice." She left it behind then finished making dinner. Later, I realize it is 10pm and she usually turns into a pumpkin at 9. She's in her recliner still reading it.

I'm not going to even read it again until April. I want to remove myself from it so I can be brutal with the edits.

Meanwhile, I am back to writing Harri's story, Butch Girls: Stereotype This.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Feb 2012, 07:47

Yay! I'm so glad you are on a roll again, Paula.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 28 Feb 2012, 11:51

Me too! It feels good. I'm not stopping. I'm trying to let go and just write.

And thanks everyone for the pats on the back. I needed it.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 28 Feb 2012, 14:37

"Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” — E.L. Doctorow
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 29 Feb 2012, 04:38

Only problem with that is that at least there's a road under you. Not so with a novel.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 29 Feb 2012, 05:27

Don't look down. Don't look down. Don't look down.

ohmygod I looked down.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to Thought Patterns