2010 -- FranW -- Short and Shorter

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

2010 -- FranW -- Short and Shorter

Postby FranW » 17 Oct 2010, 09:41

Since I just can't think at novel-length (brain too small!) I'll try and commit to writing -- and FINISHING -- some short stories, with the intention of writing at least a little bit every day. And I will finish that story I want to submit to Red Velvet and Absinthe.

“Dearest, I noticed that Lord Featherstone’s younger son, Mr George Tarlet, distinguished you with his attention in the quadrille. Your father would approve of a connection with that family.”

“I did not know his name, Mama,” Amanda said.

“Perhaps you were not attending. Your gaze for much of the evening seemed very fixed on Lord Basington.”

“Lord Basington is very handsome,” Amanda admitted.

“Lord Basington is an impecunious rake who would be a poor match for any girl,” her mother said firmly.

“But Lady Jersey said that he only dances with accredited beauties. If he were to ask me to dance--”

“Beauty is born, not made by a man’s attention. Young Tarlet is by far the more eligible gentleman, for all that he lacks a title. And other than his sister, he never glanced at another young lady this evening. Only you.”

Amanda remembered the clumsy, clammy-handed young man with a shudder. “I can’t think why. He barely spoke during the dance, and he trod on my foot and tore the lace of my hem.”

“He’s rumoured to have an income of nearly ten thousand pounds a year, thanks to that very pretty estate he inherited from a distant cousin. Janescourt, I believe it’s called. And if he didn’t speak often, well, perhaps he is shy.”

“He wasn’t shy when he suggested that I needed dancing lessons.” Amanda sat up in a flash of anger. “It was entirely his fault that the flounce on my dress became torn, yet he blamed me!”

“He’s a man. What would you expect?”

No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2010 -- FranW -- Short and Shorter

Postby FranW » 02 Nov 2010, 06:57

Oh, hell, it's November.

Okay. I've got a number of short stories for which I've written a paragraph or two, and I want to try to finish.

Gothic romance: “Dearest, I noticed that Lord Featherstone’s younger son, Mr George Tarlet, distinguished you with his attention in the quadrille. Your father would approve of a connection with that family.”

Paranormal SF: I ran away before the government could pick me up. By then I was seventeen, and I knew who and what I was: my mother's daughter. I could become the face of innocence myself, if I chose, and I often did, because men paid well for a virgin schoolgirl. I could be white or black or brown or yellow. I could also become a lush older woman, or a boy, or, for very special and very discreet clients, a panther. That came easiest to me.

Fantasy: Every night, men's imaginations bring me to life. They close their eyes and rut with me, my body limp and helpless as they heave and groan and thrust. Their seed spills onto sweaty sheets or into their wives who, all unknowing, have just witnessed their husband's unfaithfulness.

Horror: The sound of a power drill roared in Karen’s ear. She felt pressure on her skull, then a jagged ripping. It should hurt. Some part of her knew it did hurt, but the knowledge seemed disconnected from her body and brain.

Paranormal fantasy: Some moon-nights brought nightmares in which I was a hare or a deer, screaming beneath the stinking weight of a slavering monster while its claws and teeth rent my flesh. Other times I was the monster itself, stalking prey, howling with hunger, lapping at hot blood with a ravenous tongue. Sometimes I was both at once.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 02 Nov 2010, 07:49

Wow. Nice potential there! Go for it!
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 02 Nov 2010, 07:56

Yeah, I find it's very easy to start stories, but very hard to get more than a quarter of the way through them before I give up.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 02 Nov 2010, 08:18

I wonder why that is. You are a freakishly good writer, dammit.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby grewgirl » 02 Nov 2010, 08:44

Wow, your story ideas look great. Do you just get bored? I'm really good at writing the second half of a story, but not the beginning. I'm the same way telling a joke - can't wait to deliver the punchline.
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Bernard Baruch
grewgirl
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby FranW » 02 Nov 2010, 08:51

Either I have no idea where the story is going and can't concoct a plot, or I figure it out and decide it's too dumb and predictable.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 02 Nov 2010, 11:09

Paranormal SF: 960 words.
Jack mops at his face with his shirt-cuff. Either they’ve promised him more millions than I can imagine, or they’ve promised that they’ll kill him if he can’t get us to agree.

“I want a written contract,” I say. “Lodged with an independent lawyer of my choice, who can go public with it and pursue the i-feds for breach if I’m not back in a year.”

Stacia cocks an eyebrow at me. “Ngaire, you know it wouldn’t be worth the pixels it’s written with. Still....”

The others await her decision.

“Group contract,” she says. “Protect one, protect all. If one of us isn’t free in a year, we all go public with the deal.”

Jack lets out his breath in an audible whoosh.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 02 Nov 2010, 12:04

The panther one intrigues me most.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 05 Nov 2010, 12:08

Paranormal SF: 1500 words.
[i] “All the info we have – and I do mean all of it – is in the databanks,” B says. “As I’ve said, you’re free to access it.”

“If you C.F.s can even read,” one of the pilots sneers.

B rounds on him. “That’s enough.”

It’s the second time the pilots have used the term C.F. for us shifters. I wonder idly what it means. The F, no doubt, means freak. Creepy freaks? Crazy freaks?
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to NaNoWriMo