Pep Talk: One Week To Go

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

Pep Talk: One Week To Go

Postby PaulaO » 25 Oct 2010, 17:30

So? Are you ready? Do you know what you'll be doing?

In my opinion, NaNo isn't about writing a really good novel. It is about writing. Of putting some sort of plot together and letting it just flow the way it wants. To break free of shoulds and just do. It can be scary for some. Cathartic to others. Annoying as heck to many.

If you are still lost (like I am) try some of the following:

Write down some random plots or even plots from your favorite books. The key is to make a visual list vs just thinking about it. If plots ideas fail you, write a list of places you have visited, people's names that attracts you, or some sort of other list of whatever comes to mind.

Expand on each one, seeing what direction it takes you. For example, you decide Tiffany-Anne is a cool name. What would someone with that name be like? Stereotypical or not? How would she have reached that reputation? San Antonio Texas is a neat place. I often think about sitting out on the Riverwalk, reading a book.

The idea is to just keep coming up with thoughts and ideas but get them out of your head. Hence the paper or the computer screen. Getting them out in the open helps, for most people, to start going in some sort of direction. In our heads, we tend to go around in circles or not at all.

What about a previous work you've done? Does a prequel interest you? What made a certain character the way she is? Or, where did she go after the book was over? What about a minor character? What's her story? Or a main character's sibling? What made the evil ex-girlfriend so dang evil?

Anyone else have advice? Warnings, even?

And now to take my own advice and decide on what I shall do this year. I'll let ya'll know.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Pep Talk: One Week To Go

Postby TeriasM » 25 Oct 2010, 22:35

Warning: Do NOT let your word count slide. No matter how tempting, a 10,000 word day is not an ideal way to make up for slack assing through the week.

Now that I've written it somewhere, maybe I'll take my own advice... probably not though. :P
If life gives you lemons, keep them, because hey, free lemons.
TeriasM
Increasingly animated
Increasingly animated

Postby deej » 26 Oct 2010, 00:26

Good luck ladies, I sincerely am looking forward to the progress you all make. I'll keep the coffee going, so none of you fall asleep. rofl
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 26 Oct 2010, 03:44

It is best to figure in off days.

You need 50,000 words in 30 days. That comes out to 1667 words a day if you write every day. But to be more sane, figure in that you're going to miss a lot of days. I always take out the days Lorna is off (8 days) so that will be 22 days at 2273 words. So my goal is 1667 minimum but push to get as close to or over 2273 words.

I use OpenOffice and use their spreadsheet program to do the math for me. I'll clean up last year's and post a link to it.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby TeriasM » 26 Oct 2010, 04:50

I always plan to do my 1667 a day, but like you, some days it just ain't happening. I try to pad my wordcount on the days where I'm really motoring so that when brain takes an unplanned hiatus, I still have some breathing room. Last year I hit 42 grand about 2 weeks in and then hit a mental block a week long. :S
If life gives you lemons, keep them, because hey, free lemons.
TeriasM
Increasingly animated
Increasingly animated

Return to NaNoWriMo