2011 PaulaO - 2797 - Stereotypes/Stereotypical/BG3

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

2011 PaulaO - 2797 - Stereotypes/Stereotypical/BG3

Postby PaulaO » 28 Oct 2011, 05:02

I guess I should get serious about the idea. Still thinking. If you smell smoke and hear a kaboom from the South, it'd be me. rofl
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2011 PaulaO - (insert title here)

Postby deej » 28 Oct 2011, 05:51

Go P, you can do it. Harry's story needs to be told, in full and published.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 28 Oct 2011, 06:10

That's the one I am leaning toward. I've written on it before, several times, but get so far and stop. They bicker a lot and it bothers me.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 28 Oct 2011, 06:18

But there are couples who do that. I know couples like that and I'm sure you do too. Make it funny. You can do this.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 28 Oct 2011, 08:43

I do know a couple who bickered all the freakin' time. Annoyed the snot out of everyone. Thankfully, they came to their senses and split.

Harri appears to be the stereotypical butch from the haircut to the walk. Liz is feminine but is just as comfortable in overalls. She doesn't understand Harri's "need" to emulate a man. She can't grasp masculinity has nothing to do with it, it's just the way Harri is. However, I have Harri liking 'wife beater' undershirts that have lace at the collar (Lorna has one) or are colored vs being white.

The scene I wrote where Grace and Lucy take Harri clothes shopping is a hoot.

I wish I could write humor. It is funny in my head but it doesn't come out on paper most of the time.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 28 Oct 2011, 09:04

I think you're wrong! You say a lot of funny things here, if you didn't try for funny throughout the entire book but at those moments when they are at each other, that might work. What's the worse that could happen, it doesn't work, but I think it would.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 28 Oct 2011, 09:25

It really does sound intriguing. And there's depth to dealing with the conundrum of being on the masculine side of female, including the fact that we feel obliged to see things in a binary way when it comes to gender expression. You can touch on serious things like that just lightly, and use humor when possible, and make a more lasting impression than a lecture on the subject would do.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 28 Oct 2011, 13:16

PaulaO wrote:I wish I could write humor. It is funny in my head but it doesn't come out on paper most of the time.

I beg to differ and the proof is here: http://asouthernjournal.com/Ezine/2011v36offutt.html
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 28 Oct 2011, 14:31

See! That's the point! That's not a humorous piece at all. At least I didn't mean for it to be. Now I need to read it again.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 29 Oct 2011, 01:27

No, it's not Ha Ha humorous, but it has that subtle wisecracking wink to that reader that I love. I mean, how can you not smile at The Young Married Women's Adult Bible School of New Hope Baptist Church. And, "No one ever said being a wife was pleasant. But it is our duty to be one."

And this, "Did you find your pleasure when Mr. Moore dallied in the barn with that young harlot from the trailer park?" Yes, getting deeper by the second.

"Yes, especially that. When Mr. Moore, as you said, dallied in the barn it meant he would leave me alone for several days and not require I see to his sexual needs."

Do you not find that amusing? It doesn't have to be slapstick, Carol Burnett tearing down the curtains. It's got that Fannie Flagg, Carrie Fisher vibe going.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to NaNoWriMo