2011 Progress and Conclusion

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

2011 Progress and Conclusion

Postby PaulaO » 29 Nov 2011, 08:03

So? How is everyone doing? I meant to do this earlier in the month but this was an insane month for me.

Which means my word count is just over 4000 words. They are good words though so it's not a total loss.

The purpose behind NaNoWriMo is to force ourselves to drop the internal editors and the like and just write. No matter how bad, just write. I can't seem to do that anymore. I kept stopping and re-reading, changing, editing, thinking. Bad Paula! No thinking allowed! I'm going to try again in December, to see if I can push myself to just. freaking. write.

Share in this thread how it went for you: the good, the bad, the ugly.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2011 Progress and Conclusion

Postby grewgirl » 29 Nov 2011, 10:52

I finished last night and I'd bet that I have about 10k good words. I had a few writing days where the words just flowed and that was awesome.

Those good days kept me afloat on my brain dead days. I learned that I just can't handle the write ins because there'd are. Never enough plugs or chairs, and that I can no longer tolerate the kids in the word war chat rooms. They're all writing about sparkly vampires....it's mind numbing (for me, at least).
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Bernard Baruch
grewgirl
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby PaulaO » 29 Nov 2011, 11:00

Here in my area, there's a lot of writers but not many are out for publication. And they are either deadly serious or not serious at all. There never seems to be a medium ground.

That and they started meeting at crowded, barely accessible locations so I stopped going.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby grewgirl » 29 Nov 2011, 17:33

I went to a social and met some of the local writers. The first conversation went something like this:

"We're glad you joined us. When you're ready to submit, we have another group who meets at a different time with more serious writers who can critique and help you get published."

I'm not writing to get published, but rather to get better at writing. At least, that's where I am now. When I said that I got dismissed. I understand that people write books and get published and make $50, but I'm betting that a lot more people write for the hell of it...and dangit, we deserve a little respect.

I've learned through NaNo that I enjoy writing so much more when the goal is to just get a story on paper.
grewgirl

Postby deej » 30 Nov 2011, 00:22

That's what the goal should be GG, don't let any one dismiss you. One of those stories might just end up being the one you do get published and if not at least you've enjoyed the process. Good for you.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 30 Nov 2011, 03:20

Sorry, GG, I didn't mean to dismiss you. I had no problem with them writing without the goal I did. I had the opposite problem you did. Since my goal is/was publication, I was the one being dismissed. That and I didn't have a husband or kids.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby grewgirl » 30 Nov 2011, 08:13

I should have phrased that better - the locals were dismissive. I can honestly say that everyone here is very supportive and respectful of the writers on this board. I really appreciate that.

I would love to write something that I felt was good enough to submit for publication, and I'm sure that I will...with patience and practice.
grewgirl

Postby deej » 30 Nov 2011, 08:20

Exactly GG. And I believe this will only add to the support you've witnessed in the past. :-)
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 30 Nov 2011, 09:04

:smooch:
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Andain » 30 Nov 2011, 18:07

I didn't do the best this year, kinda dropped out after the first week and a half or so. I dunno, I just had a hard time meeting the word count. I was working on the last 5 or so chapters in my novel, and it was hard, because I was at the emotional climax of the piece, and I didn't feel right rushing it. I wanted everything to be juuust so, so I took my time with it, and found myself miserably behind.

Wasn't a terrible month, though. I made progress, just not as much as I'd hoped. Ah well.
Captive by the Fog - My debut novel, now available from Musa Publishing.
Andain
Increasingly animated
Increasingly animated

Next

Return to NaNoWriMo