2012 PaulaO - Butterfly Effect (6880)

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

2012 PaulaO - Butterfly Effect (6880)

Postby PaulaO » 20 Oct 2012, 07:33

I had so much fun doing the SF that I think I want to try another. I do best when I have a title or a saying then build around it.

So....thinking. (need a smoking head smilie)
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2012 PaulaO - Something SF or F

Postby PaulaO » 25 Oct 2012, 14:43

I'm going through some idea generator things (in my head, not online).

I've always wanted to do something with the "Butterfly Effect" concept. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

I asked Lorna to think of something, too. She later said she likes the word indubitably and thought the "in the fall of a leaf" sounded cool. I like the phrase (don't like the word) but don't know what to do with it yet.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2012 PaulaO - Something SF or F

Postby PaulaO » 25 Oct 2012, 18:33

Running with the butterfly effect right now. Not sure at all where it is going.

The pilot struggled with the controls as he tried to wrestle the space craft out of the pull of the star. Warning claxons beeped and verbalized and he wished they'd shut the fuck up so he could concentrate. Sweat beaded on his forehead because he knew he was fighting a losing battle. As the glow from the ship's exterior heating up became brighter than the star in front of him, he finally let his arms fall to his side.

This is not the way he thought he would die. He thought it would be with weapons full on as he fought the pirates. Or maybe he and his ship would tear apart during a Jump and he'd never see it coming.

The ship was vibrating now. He had just a few minutes, if that long. He unbuckled himself from the seat and thought it ironic the usual safety message sounded off among all the other warnings. A crack and he realized part of the ship had already started to warp. He finally reached the locker in the hall just beyond the control room. He pulled out the weapon, stared at it a second, then put the muzzle of it in his mouth. As he pulled the trigger, he heard more crashing as more of the ship buckled and collapsed.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2012 PaulaO - Butterfly Effect (1183)

Postby PaulaO » 01 Nov 2012, 17:07

Got a good start tonight! I wish I could go more but my eyes are all wonky. I may bang out a few more words before going to bed.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2012 PaulaO - Butterfly Effect (3806)

Postby PaulaO » 04 Nov 2012, 08:47

It's progressing nicely. But I have no clue where it is going. I'm just typing the words. I got three main characters so far with two side ones. This one, Mysty, I named in your honor. Or should it by Mysti?

Tinara and Flegary finally reached the ship and Tinara eyed it, looking for something that would remind her. But it wasn't anything visual that finally cued her. It was the high pitched squeal.

"It's my two favoritist Constables EVER!"

Then a lightweight Being threw herself into Tinara's arms.

"Oh. Hello, Mysty."

"Just hello? No, 'how ya been' or 'missed you so much'?" But the open mouth smile didn't put much emphasis on her words. She bounced against Tinara's hard armor. "How come I can dry hump a crate but it not feel half as good as when I dry hump you?"

Flegary had the decency to cough and turn his head to hide his laughing. But the others around them who just happened to hear the comment—and, really, you'd have to be deaf to not have—laughed a lot.

"It's the heat of the suit. Crates usually aren't warm." Another familiar voice filled Tinara's ears. But this one pleased her a lot more than Mysty's.

Tinara turned, Misty still attached and gyrating, and greeted her old friend and occasional lover. "Nitcel, how you been? I've missed you so much."

"Oh, fine. That's how it's gonna be? I can take the hint." But Mysty humped the suit a few more times before leaping off and landing in Nitcel's arms.

"No, no humping me, dry or not." Nitcel, who stood even taller than Flegary, peeled Mysty off and set her on the gangway.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2012 PaulaO - Butterfly Effect (4831)

Postby PaulaO » 06 Nov 2012, 09:35

Well, it sits there. I have no clue where it is going. I keep hearing myself saying "Don't waste time typing words you aren't going to keep". I need to shut that voice up and just type.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby grewgirl » 09 Nov 2012, 13:49

It's hard to mute the internal editor. I've found loud music to be helpful, lol . It drowns her (and everyone else) out.
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Bernard Baruch
grewgirl
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby ElaineB » 10 Nov 2012, 00:22

Also, since the point of NaNoWriMo is to, well, write, I say you have license to pour it out. Sure, you might end up not needing most of it, but maybe there's a nugget in there that will be gold! You'd never find it by censoring yourself.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 10 Nov 2012, 05:43

I do write better with P!nk or Solas playing.

I'm using the same "world" I created for To Sleep so I don't have to recreate everything. Not using as much as I thought I would, though. Primarily because it takes place far away.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2012 PaulaO - Butterfly Effect (6672)

Postby PaulaO » 10 Nov 2012, 05:50

And I am way behind. Not worried at this point, though. At least not about word count!

The others in this area that are doing NaNo meet twice a week but the place is inaccessible. When they first said where it would be, I asked if it was accessible but got no response. After they met, I asked again and was told there may or may not be an elevator to the second floor but there were more steps after that. Not that I actually have to hang out with like minds, but it is sometimes cool to gather that kind of energy. I've gone a few times over the years and I am always the only one who is out to publish with a real publisher, not a vanity press. And I'm usually the oldest.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to NaNoWriMo