2012 PaulaO - Butterfly Effect (6880)

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

Re: 2012 PaulaO - Butterfly Effect (6672)

Postby grewgirl » 10 Nov 2012, 12:44

When I went to the writer meet ups here in CO, most of the people I talked with were writing about vampires because their ideas are "better than Twilight" or they were writing fan fiction based on Anime/movies/Harry Potter...and a lot of them were 12 (or at least they seemed twelve). It was very discouraging, so I stopped going.

The write ins are a great idea, and everyone always seems so productive, but I can't write on demand. I always found myself listening to all of the tapping/scratching and getting annoyed because it wasn't quiet.

Of course....I'm odd.
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Bernard Baruch
grewgirl
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby ElaineB » 11 Nov 2012, 00:10

No you're not. It's one of the reasons I hate classes. "OK, now write about blah for ten minutes." Freeze. I hate that.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 11 Nov 2012, 18:41

I've tried two writer groups that meet all year. Wait, three. One was cigarettes and wine with beatnik music as they read really bad poetry. They didn't want actual criticism. They wanted an audience. There's an all women writing group that spawned from a NaNo a few years ago. They meet monthly or so but all they want to do is read and critique. And the how-to workshops they've had have all been about self-publishing and memoirs.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 2012 PaulaO - Butterfly Effect (6880)

Postby PaulaO » 18 Nov 2012, 06:54

And I have squeezed all I can out of this. While this is not a mystery novel, it has a lot of elements as one and I'm not good at that.

I need to have several plot lines seem separate that then come together by the end. This means pre-planning at least to the point of knowing what the lines are.

I do like what I have, though. It has great potential! But it needs more planning that I have right now. What I think I will do is stop here and spend a year getting those lines figured out and ready. With that done, it will be more fun to write!

At first, I thought it was my internal editor that kept stopping me but I realized it was more than that. Writing with no clear direction is something I do well but the difference here, like I said, is my lack of knowing what those plot lines are.

There's the opening one where a group of teens are out joyriding in a space craft. They take off in the small one-person ships and race around a set of asteroids. The idea is to get closer and closer and faster and faster until someone bumps into one. After that, the loser decided to shoot up the rocks so they do target practice.

The next one is this guy piloting a cargo ship. Debris from their fun has traveled through the area and impact some sort of doohickey on the outside of the ship. By the time he and the ship computer realizes something is wrong, it is too late and he plows into the sun. Or a rogue planet, not sure. LOL

The next scene is the introduction of the main characters. One of them, Tinara, is bitchy because her new boots did not arrive and she has to do with a pair that do not quite fit right. This puts her in a bad mood and, somehow, that bad mood will lead to her doing something (stupid? too far? reckless?) that leads to something else.

Too many somethings!

She and a guy (Fleg) are a Constable team and they're assigned to this mission being led by another. She (the third main character, I mean) has some sort of motive but I'm not sure what it is. The pilot of their Jump ship (think mobile Stargate) just happens to be the niece of the cargo pilot. Fleg also just happens to have had a distant cousin who used to live in the area they are going and remembers there used to be a make-shift race track among the asteroids there. But they're gone.

Which leads to something else, which leads to something else....

Too many somethings!

Anyway, there it sits.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to NaNoWriMo