Book Challenge of 2011

Members try to read 50 books in 2011. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Book Challenge of 2011

Postby deej » 01 Jan 2011, 02:15

Okay Ladies

We need to decide how we're going to approach the new reading challenge. Tanner's brilliant idea of 2010 was such a success that we're going to repeat it. In order to change it up some it's been suggested that:

Maybe we could have a general thread where we could all post the challenge books we'd like others to read and then we could each have our individual ones just like we did this year.

Let's open the discussion and determine how we want to make this work. This is your forum, so let's here your thoughts.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Book Challenge of 2011

Postby Lt Sue » 01 Jan 2011, 02:44

I enjoyed the 50 book challenge and picked up some good referrals from other's lists. I'd be up for doing it again. Maybe with a twist on how we feedback. No referring to the blurb - just your own description in less than 140 characters a la Twitter?

I'm not so sure about the forum challenge - as the selections have got more ecclectic I've participated less...

Maybe a general thread where 4 and 5 star books are posted?
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Nurse Jo » 01 Jan 2011, 22:19

:yikes: :-o :no: :scared: Sue has just suggested that next years forum challenge should only consist of BSB and Bella books :ping: :poke: :lalala: :help: :roll: :smack: :smack: :smack:
She has been sent back to the kitchen straightaway to continue cooking the rather delicious beef joint we have for New Years day lunch. She's not allowed out again until she can make a sensible suggestion. Please note, there are no officer airs and graces when she is at home.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 01 Jan 2011, 22:56

lol

I would like to continue both the 50 books and the challenges. I would prefer a bit more organization on the challenges since some of them went a bit astray with no contributions from people involved, or with people reading the books at very different times. I suggest that we should make a list of 6 books for the challenges of the whole year. Then we would discuss a book every two months which seems reasonable. Everyone participating should propose 6 books and the ones with more proposals would make the final list.

My own proposal:

1. The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue
2. Forgetting the Alamo, or, Blood Memory by Emma Pérez
3. Shoulders: A Novel by Georgia Cotrell
4. Alchemy by Maureen Duffy
5. The Remarkable Journey of Miss Tranby Quirke by Elizabeth Ridley
6. All that False Instruction by Kerry Higgs
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby sbarret » 02 Jan 2011, 05:26

What about a general thread for just our 5-star recommendations.?

I wasn't so good with the 50 books last year but hope springs a turtle!
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby FranW » 02 Jan 2011, 08:35

THANK YOU, NURSE JO!!!!!!!!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 02 Jan 2011, 08:39

One of the things I like about the book challenges is finding new publishers. Okay, the book I chose from Norilana this year wasn't exactly a resounding success, but you have to admit, it was quite different to our usual fare! ;)

Has anyone bought books from Serpent's Tail or Paris Press? (I think Serpent's does free worldwide shipping.)

Because I love y'all, I won't suggest Tanith Lee's "Disturbed By Her Song", though it's one on my to-buy list ;)
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 02 Jan 2011, 09:40

Individual challenges: While I can understand the appeal of a 140 character limit feedback for some of us, Sue, I think the informal format of individual threads worked so well last year. Why change it?

Reading Challenges. Yes, I was slack at keeping people whipped in and on time. I like the idea of formalising a list at the beginning of the year. That way people can plan ahead to acquire copies. For a lot of challenges, Fran and I ended up not even getting the books until others had finished. So, if we could come up with a schedule in advance, that would help considerably.

Let's hear your ideas.

Jo: Thank you! :smooch:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Lilien » 02 Jan 2011, 15:51

I want to participate this year!
I think that Wild's idea is excellent.
And I also planed to read The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue.

As for Sue! I'm in her team! Don't worry Lieutenant, I'll watch your back. Image

Nurse Jo wrote: :smack: :smack: :smack:

Jo, I really luuuuuv that smiley.

rofl
"When I die, bury me face down so the world can kiss my ass."
Lilien
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 03 Jan 2011, 01:02

I haven't decided what I want to do this year. Probably not a challenge because then I feel compelled to complete it to the detriment of other things in my life. Wish I reacted to exercise that way, or dieting!

I'd like to see our Reviews section get back up to snuff. I loved the old one where you could scroll through authors and click straight to a review. I spent part of a day updating the links, then lost the document before posting. It's not something I can easily do at home (too little access to the Internet) or at work (it is work, y'know).

With everyone's challenge from last year, we've got hundreds of books we could add to that list.

I have The Sealed Letter, so can read that anytime anyone wants to discuss it! :bounce:
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2011