SEEKING BETA READERS

Moderator: FranW

SEEKING BETA READERS

Postby FranW » 02 Mar 2012, 10:12

If you're looking for BETA READERS for your completed lesbian novel, post your request in this thread with sufficient info for readers to decide whether your book and writing style are their cup of tea. Anyone who is interested in volunteering can contact you by Private Message, and from there y'all can work out amongst yourselves the details about email addresses, manuscript format/file type, critique style, quid pro quo/chocolate exchanges, full vs partial book critiques, etc.

Please try and use this standard format (you can use the 'quote' function to retain all the formatting):
Author: Your Name
Book Working Title: Your Title
Genre: e.g. Fantasy, Romance, Mystery
Word count: Rounded to nearest 1000
Maximum turnaround time for reader feedback: The latest date you will accept feedback
Synopsis/sample text: This should be the first 200 - 700 words of the book, OR a 300 - 700 word synopsis, OR a brief <200 word synopsis and the first 100 - 500 words of the book

Adding:
1. This isn't the place to post critiques. If the author wants feedback other than directly from their one-on-one beta-reader relationship (say, a critique on a synopsis or on a first chapter only), they can join the Private Workshop.
2. Anyone can volunteer to be a beta reader; however, sometimes an author and reader just won't click. Don't take it personally if an author declines a beta's offer, or if a beta bows out part way through.
3. Beta reading is often based on friendship or familiarity with an author's body of work. Long-time forumite authors are likely to get more offers from beta-readers than new members. Again, don't take it personally. It's just how the world works.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: SEEKING BETA READERS

Postby SharonCho » 02 Mar 2012, 10:57

I thought about it and changed my mind. I should respect what was given as a rule and not break it just cause I"m impatient as hell right now. I'll be back in a couple of weeks on this thread. See you all on others.
"If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all." Hamlet, Wm Shakespeare
SharonCho
A little more activity
A little more activity

Postby FranW » 02 Mar 2012, 14:47

Note for instant feedback junkies ;) : We've also got a "snippets" thread: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3162 where, if you're unsure if a style or description or whatever is working, you can post a hundred words or so and ask for instant feedback of the "does this work?" kind.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 20 Mar 2012, 06:35

LeeHarlemR wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for beta readers for a short story (details below).

Mod note: the post has been shifted since this thread is not the appropriate place. We'd like to keep this thread for novel length works for which beta readers are needed. (As per the initial post: If you're looking for BETA READERS for your completed lesbian novel, post your request in this thread.)

Critiques on short stories can be exchanged via the private workshop. If that's not suitable, short story authors can contact a mod with their needs, and suitable alternatives will be discussed.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 26 May 2012, 12:49

Author: Paula Offutt
Book Working Title: To Sleep
Genre: Science Fiction
Word count: 96K+
Maximum turnaround time for reader feedback: June 18, 2012 (preferably sooner but I'll survive either way)

I am looking for someone to read it over and give me their opinion as to how it is, if it works, if it doesn't, etc. No grammar or punctuation unless something jumps up and slaps you. My partner has read most of it and all she says is "I liked the original version better". She says that about all my stories. (heavy sigh)

I've not got the synopsis figured out yet so I included the beginning 807 words. I tried to do less but it just didn't feel right. And I just HAD to include the line about Bob.

Sample text:

Epilogue:
This is not so much an epilogue as it is a prologue since I am writing this much later. Ha, I confuse even myself these days. I started this journal, initially, as an effort to keep myself sane. Then, later, I wrote it again to hold onto those memories because no matter what, they are mine. And now, I use it to remember, to grasp the memories once again and reclaim them.

Memories come to me on their own now, of the before and the after. The before was cleaner. Organized. A crisp sanity in the midst of doubt when in fact it was not any of those. The now is even less so. There are so many twists and turns to my memories, it is no wonder I lose track of them.

DREAM STATE

Chapter One
I am Karen Miller. I was a medical student in Philly and worked a full time job as an ER nurse. I was lucky in that my supervisor was very flexible with my schedule. She said it was because she knew I wouldn't ever jerk her around. And that she knew that if she really needed me, I'd be there. And I always was. Sometimes I went twenty-four hours with only a cat nap here and there. I'd go to school early in the morning, putting in lab hours then study some more before class. After classes, I'd ride my bike to work and put my time in there. If it was a slow night, I'd study. If it wasn't, I kept busy, pushing the exhaustion to the back. Working the ER, that was easy to do. Some of my co-workers used drugs to stay alert. I didn't. Ever. Unless you count caffeine, then yeah, I was all but mainlining the stuff.

Anyway, I had labs most of this one day, a Wednesday, then worked second shift at the hospital. It had been a fairly quiet night. No full moon, middle of the week, moderate temps. No real reason to get drunk and fight someone or make the road dangerous. I did my shift, worked a little overtime to help with an admission, then hopped on my bike and headed home.

I lived in an apartment building, four apartments to a floor. Two were bigger for families and the other two varied in size. I had one of the smallest because there was just me and it was cheap. It was a studio with just enough room for a bed, a couch, and space for my bike. Oh, and my books. My god I had books. Text books, fiction, non-fiction. Magazines, too. And pizza boxes. I never knew if they were recyclable or not so I just stacked them up until they nearly fell over. Then I tossed them down the trash chute. I put a huge stack down once and they jammed the system. They didn't ask who did it and I didn't volunteer the information.

Sorry, I wandered again. Reminiscing is something we all do now. We try to not do too many "remember when" nights but it happens.

So I got home, re-heated pizza, spread out the text books and studied for an upcoming test. I had the television on but the sound was really low. I had it more for the company than anything else I guess. I don't know what time it was when I realized something was going on, news wise. I found the remote and turned up the sound. They were talking about that asteroid, the one they'd been studying for several years. I was a teenager when it had come so close they could study it for the first time. Anyway, it came through every once in a while but never close enough to be of any danger. They kept saying some day it would but they never pinned down a year. Anyway, for some reason they chose it to study the most so that's why I even knew what they were talking about. They had some grainy photos of it on the screen behind the news guy when I turned up the volume.

"We go now to Ray who is standing by at the NASA/NOAA facility in Cape Canaveral-Kennedy. Ray, what are they saying?"

Behind Ray was a glass wall and beyond that was the Command Room where the capsules and the ISS3 were monitored. Watch a take off once and you will see this room at some point, cameras pointed at the screens covered in trajectory lines and radar sweeps. The images on the big screens were different now though, most showing the same or similar grainy photos.

"As you know, Bob, the asteroid known as 2005 YU, and nicknamed "Osiris", has been very predictable over the decades. But now they say it has moved, shifted in its path."
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 27 May 2012, 05:51

OK, I'm hooked if you want to send it to me. I wasn't sure I could meet your deadline, but can probably do the 18th, if not before.

But do we have Baker to blame thank for writers tossing in "As you know Bob" bits? This will be the second time (third, if you count Promises)--Pol Robinson pulled it in Open Water (I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it).
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 27 May 2012, 09:13

Will it become part of the lesbian fiction formula?

I think I have your email address.

I am on my new laptop and not figured out the file sharing shtuff yet. So I'll email it to you in a bit.

Much thanks, Elaine!
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 27 May 2012, 22:45

PaulaO wrote:I think I have your email address.

:secret: Just click my email button.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 28 May 2012, 07:02

Oh, "As you know, Bob" goes waaaaay back. The Turkey City Lexicon, I think, which I recall from over a decade ago. It's a SF byword. Much like, "I'm coming," he ejaculated!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 28 May 2012, 07:15

Yes, it's the classic shorthand to describe when a writer puts an info-dump in dialogue.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Author Feedback