Baker aspires...

Members try to read 50 books in 2013. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Baker aspires...

Postby Baker » 07 Jan 2014, 06:17

I really sucked at readign this year. I started many books, but finished pitifully few. Bleh.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 07 Jan 2014, 09:38

Well, Baker I only finished the challenge due to reading, or more accurately skimming, through a lot of lesfic. I checked what I read in 2013 and the quality is pitiful. So, should we try again? Maybe we will finish the Luminaries at the end of 2014 ;-).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 08 Jan 2014, 01:02

I'm disgusted with my 2013 reading. I'm halfway through the Atwood trilogy interspersed with my re-reading of the classics...now into Thomas Hardy [so far, Return, Tess, & Madding Crowd]. I've only read a few lesfic books. A couple had promise because of unusual situations and a bit more depth in character development, but...eh. That I cannot remember the titles of any other than Letters Never Sent speaks to the memorability of them.

I've also done some pretty extensive readings in poetry--primarily Edna St. Vincent Millay--and American women short story writers. What I love about reading short stories and poetry is that I can read and reread several times in a sitting and dwell on the piece...really see all the parts and appreciate the author's assembly of them. I am such a slow reader that it is much harder for me to do that with novels without taking notes. That turns the reading into an editing chore. ;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 08 Jan 2014, 06:26

Yes, I think we ought to try again. Maybe we ought to list the books we start, not just the ones we finish? That way we can capture a more accurate snapshot of what we've been reading. What do you think?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 08 Jan 2014, 22:30

Excellent idea!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2013