Wildlx tries once more

Members try to read 50 books in 2013. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Wildlx tries once more

Postby wildlx » 15 Sep 2013, 11:20

#.50 Letters Never Sent by Sandra Moran : 4stars
This is the first novel published by Sandra Moran. More than just a romance is also about self-acceptance and bending to societal expectations and I found it quite well-written. However, I also had some problems with the book. Kate is not a likable character. She personifies inner homophobia and the need of social acceptance and somewhere along the story you want to :bash: her. Also, the roller coaster romantic relationship between Kate and Annie becomes a bit repetitive and, IMO, there are some parts where I found the plot a bit contrived* and also over the top**. However, overall I quite liked it.

Three women, united by love and kinship, struggle to conform to the social norms of the times in which they lived. In 1931, Katherine Henderson leaves behind her small town in Kansas and the marriage proposal of a local boy to live on her own and work at the Sears & Roebuck glove counter in Chicago. There she meets Annie-a bold, outspoken feminist who challenges Katherine's idea of who she thinks she is and what she thinks she wants in life. In 1997, Katherine's daughter, Joan, travels to Lawrence, Kansas, to clean out her estranged mother's house. In an old suitcase she finds a wooden box containing trinkets and a packet of sealed letters to a person identified only by a first initial. Joan reads the unsent letters and discovers a woman completely different from the aloof and unyielding mother of her youth-a woman who had loved deeply and lost that love to circumstances beyond her control. Now Joan just has to find the strength to use the healing power of empathy and forgiveness to live the life she's always wanted to live.

*The interval between reading the fifth and sixth letter. The accident that solves some of Joan's problems
** The murder

<rant: I bought the ebook and it has the metadata wrong. In my ereader the title has no spaces between the words and it says the author is anonymous. The chapters are also not in the table of contents.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 17 Sep 2013, 07:26

wildlx wrote:<rant: I bought the ebook and it has the metadata wrong. In my ereader the title has no spaces between the words and it says the author is anonymous. The chapters are also not in the table of contents.

Oh, oops. That sucks. Which publisher?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 17 Sep 2013, 07:48

One of yours ;-). Bedazzled Ink.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 17 Sep 2013, 15:11

:bash:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 24 Sep 2013, 09:40

#.51 The Pyramid Waltz by Barbara Ann Wright : 2+stars
The romance part was very superficial. I found the fantasy also lacking overall, although some parts of it are interesting (e.g. the pyramids). The world building is also superficial. We are given a lot of info on clothes but e.g. we don't know much about Allusia. More importantly, the fantasy genre demands that the fantasy does not exist just for the sake of it. The fantasy should be created to analyze reality. That is obviously missing from this book. Hopefully, the sequel that has already been published will solve some of this problems.

To most, Princess Katya Nar Umbriel is a rogue and a layabout; she parties, she hunts and she breaks women’s hearts. But when the festival lights go down and the palace slumbers, Katya chases traitors to the crown and protects the kingdom’s greatest secret: the royal Umbriels are part Fiend. When Katya thwarts an attempt to expose the king’s monstrous side, she uncovers a plot to let the Fiends out to play.

Starbride has no interest in being a courtier. Ignoring her mother’s order to snare an influential spouse, she comes to court only to study law. But a flirtatious rake of a princess proves hard to resist, and Starbride is pulled into a world of secrets that leaves little room for honesty or love, a world neither woman may survive.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 12 Oct 2013, 11:12

#.52 The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner : 3+stars
I liked the book, a coming of age novel where gender roles are subverted. Ellen Kushner writing flows easily. I'm just not that much into immature adolescent characters, such as Kate. However, the Mad Duke Tremontaine is a more interesting a character. I would have probably loved this novel if I had read it during my teens.
Last edited by wildlx on 15 Oct 2013, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 15 Oct 2013, 06:49

wildlx wrote:I'm just not that much into immature adolescent characters such as Kate.

I hear you. :-)
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 16 Oct 2013, 07:20

#.53 Hidden Hearts by Ann Roberts : 3+stars

With staggering student loans to repay, CC Carlson is determined to please her new employers. The first assignment as a real estate lawyer is easy: deliver an eviction notice and make it clear that it will be enforced.
She can see right away why the heir wants the charming farmhouse, cottages and land. She delivers her notice and ultimatum and only then realizes that the nearly 70-year-old occupant is the inspiring creator of a series of books that had filled her childhood with stories of love and courage.

Love and tragic secrets are part of every inch of her land, and Vivian Battle is prepared to live up to her name, as she always has. Her fiercely loyal tenants will also protect her. That includes the far-too attractive Penn, also a lawyer, who is only too happy to tell CC what she can do with her eviction notice.

So I made a deal with Proof to read this book at her recommendation while she would read Letters Never Send. I have mixed feelings about the book. I didn't much like some of the present timeline characters, namely CC, who I found quite shallow, and Alicia. Most other present time characters are also shown in a very superficial way, which is a pity especially in the case of Penn. I really liked the past storyline and its portrait of a racist and misogynist society in Phoenix in the 1950's, which is what makes this book different from most lesfic. For me the most interesting character was Lois, Vivian's mother, and I can't help wondering that a book with her as the main character and centered in the 50s would probably be an excellent book.
Thanks, Proof!
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Oct 2013, 23:40

I agree on every point with Wildlx about Hidden Hearts. The back story is the gem. The book would have been better presented with Vivian the MC and CC as the modus operandi to solving Vivian's problem rather than as the MC. Roberts' writing is nicely descriptive and her back-story characters are slowly and beautifully revealed.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 29 Oct 2013, 06:03

Ann Roberts definitely shows that she has the talent to write in the future a very good book. I suspect that publishing in a publisher that allows books with a big number of pages would also help!
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2013