Wildlx tries once more

Members try to read 50 books in 2013. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Wildlx tries once more

Postby wildlx » 06 Sep 2013, 08:07

I've just not gone completely because I tend to worry about the durability of the file formats. The books I really like I like to have them in order to eventually re-read them.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Sep 2013, 23:35

Don't you think EPUB and PDF will remain pretty standard, Wildlx?

I've given over almost completely to e-books because of my arthritic thumbs, but I have a little book stand that I use for books that aren't e-published. Right now, I'm reading a print book ([The Changeling by Alison MacLeod...neat book) and I've noticed that I read significantly slower than when I read e-books. I'm not sure why.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 07 Sep 2013, 07:23

Proofrdr wrote:Don't you think EPUB and PDF will remain pretty standard, Wildlx?

I'm not that sure. I use PDFs a lot for work but I was noticing today that the NLM has now started to provide the scientific papers also in epub. But epub is not that good with images integrated in the text. So, I remain skeptical. It's like what happened with the original word processors. I used to write stuff in a word processor called Chi Writer and people around me all used WordStar. I can't convert my original Chi Writer files to word unless I spend tonnes of time...
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 07 Sep 2013, 07:50

Proofrdr wrote:Don't you think EPUB and PDF will remain pretty standard, Wildlx?

I don't. File formats come and go with advancing technology. Wild makes good points, too, about the pros and cons of different formats. PDFs are crap on ereader apps, but they're corker with images, tables, and generally where a page format is important. I should imagine it's not going to be too long before someone comes up with a file type that accommodates both better.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 07 Sep 2013, 22:43

#.49 Winterstrike by Liz Williams : 4stars
This is a SF book leaning a lot on fantasy and the first in a trilogy (unfortunately the next two books haven't been published yet). The setting is mostly Mars which has become a matriarchy. Men have become mostly extinct (only a few remnants exist on Earth) and genetic experiments were performed in the past to create the so called "the Changed". The fantasy stuff comes from "haunt-tech", a kind of black magic, there is "soul-stealing", and there are ghosts around (I think Fran would like this book ;-)). The plot is a political intrigue and I found the book very well-written. I'm not giving more stars because there is no complete denouement of the story at the end. Hopefully the next book in the series will be published soon.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 08 Sep 2013, 08:14

Oh, yes, I need to read that one for sure! I think that's the same Liz Williams who as editor I made my first pro (non-fic) sale to; she's a cool lady.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 09 Sep 2013, 03:03

I can't find anywhere to buy the e-book!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 09 Sep 2013, 03:13

I know Proof. There is no ebook :(. I bought a used HB copy.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Selkie » 11 Sep 2013, 07:48

Perhaps an eBook copy will be published at the time of the second book?

I would also be interested in reading this, but I'm generally hesitant to begin unfinished series. (I only started Game of Thrones because there are so many spoilers floating around, I was beginning to find them difficult to avoid.)
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby wildlx » 11 Sep 2013, 08:19

Well, I also hesitate normally but this was highly recommended. The book was published in 2008 and Liz Williams has published two books since, The Shadow Pavilion (2009) and The Iron Khan (2010). However, they are from another series, the Inspector Chen series. She has another book in the same world as Winterstrike called Banner of Souls which was published in 2004.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2013