Deej can Read

Members try to read 50 books in 2013. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Deej can Read

Postby deej » 06 Mar 2013, 01:25

The Raid by Lee Lynch
Blurb: Before Stonewall, having a drink with friends or your girl could mean jail.

In 1961, The Old Town Tavern is more than just a gay bar. It’s a home to strangers who have become family. Murph, the dapper unschooled storyteller. Rockie Solomon, the gentle, generous observer. Lisa Jelane, in all her lonely dignity. Gorgeous Paul, so fragile, and his twin (straight?) sister Cissy. Deej, the angry innocent. Norman, plump and queenly lover of a college professor who’s happiest in schoolmarm drag. Harry Van Epps, police officer, and old Dr. Everett, “family” physician. They drink, they dance, they fall in lust and in love. They don’t even know who the enemy is, only that it is powerful enough to order the all-too-willing vice squad to destroy the bar and their lives.

Would these women and men still have family, a job, a place to live after…The Raid?

This was how it was done then, this was the gay life, and this is the resilient gay will.

Full disclosure here, Lee Lynch based one of her character's on me, used my name and most of my flaws. Needless to say, I'm a little bit bias.

This story gives a small glimpse into the gay life back in the sixties, in the USA. I have no idea how it was in other countries, but this is what you would have experienced here. More importantly for me, it clearly depicts the unfair treatment, beatings, etc of gay men and women. The political corruption that fueled this horrific treatment of people who had no rights.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I also lived it. I recommend it to anyone wondering just how far we've come in a mere fifty years. Image
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Deej can Read

Postby wildlx » 06 Mar 2013, 04:42

Yup, apparently, the levels of homophobia are less nowadays, at least in most western countries. Unfortunately, it still doesn't take much for homophobia and other phobias, like xenophobia, to make its re-appearance in our daily lives both in public and private discourses.

What I can say regarding my country is that the law up until 1982 considered homosexuality a crime. The law would punish with "security measures" those who would surrender "to the usual practice of vices against nature". Said security measures, that were applied primarily to gay men, included the internment "in a criminal madhouse", "working house or agricultural colony" (for a period of six months to three years), "probation", "good collateral conduct bail" and "prohibition to work. "
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 06 Mar 2013, 04:58

That's really interesting Wildlx. I know here there were laws on the books making homosexuality a crime punishable by imprisonment in many, many states up until about the 90's. I could be wrong but I believe Missouri still has that law on the books, as well as the new ones about abortion.

Two steps forward and ten in reverse for some states here.

I know it's changed significantly in your country, what with legal marriage and all, but do you see steps going backwards as well?
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 06 Mar 2013, 06:03

Holy crap, Lee has a new book out and no one told me?????? Where can I buy the e version?
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 06 Mar 2013, 06:11

deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 06 Mar 2013, 07:35

deej wrote:Full disclosure here, Lee Lynch based one of her character's on me, used my name and most of my flaws. Needless to say, I'm a little bit bias.

Really? Must...go...buy! ;)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 06 Mar 2013, 08:03

Thinking about your question Deej, (ok I know you asked Wildlx but she can still answer), in the UK the only reason there are no backward steps at the moment is because of lobbying, pressure and visibility. Although homosexuality was decriminalised in the 1960's here, you were pretty much ostracised if you came out right up until the late 1980's/early1990's.

There are several politicians and groups of people who would happily repeal all of the freedoms and equalities we have gained in the last 50 years. Thankfully, they are a small group and the mainstream opinion is one of acceptance. The right wing media is broadly supportive of things such as gay marriage which helps immensely.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 06 Mar 2013, 08:58

Yay! As soon as I get rid of my dinner guests tonight, I'm buying the book!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 06 Mar 2013, 11:15

FranW wrote:Yay! As soon as I get rid of my dinner guests tonight, I'm buying the book!

Me too. Except that I won't get to read it for a while. And I don't have dinner guests tonight.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 06 Mar 2013, 22:08

deej wrote:I know it's changed significantly in your country, what with legal marriage and all, but do you see steps going backwards as well?

Not at the moment, no. There are still some bouts of homophobia and even recently a petition to overturn the marriage law. However, in times where there are serious economic woes, and we are in such a time in Europe, history has told us that people turn against the "other" and you start seeing lots of not just homophobia, but racism and xenophobia.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2013