Deej can Read

Members try to read 50 books in 2013. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Deej can Read

Postby deej » 10 Mar 2013, 09:14

Almost Heaven by Susan X. Meagher

BLURB: Cody Keaton truly believes that money doesn't buy happiness. She believes this so strongly that when she hits big in the lottery she considers throwing the ticket away. Once she talks herself off that ledge she vows to use the money only for security, a decision that she honestly believes she can follow. She’s not going to be one of those people who blows it on houses and cars and loses it all.

Her aunts, uncles, cousins and extended family don't share her view—but most of them itch to share her money.

The local bank manager, Maddie Osborne, quickly sees that Cody's going to be in a world of trouble if she doesn't make some tough financial decisions. Given that Cody's never been inside a bank, her learning curve is steep. Maddie finds herself drawn to protecting the unsophisticated woman from the people who are trying to separate Cody from her fortune—even her nearest and dearest.

This was a really interesting story concept. Cody Keaton is a backwoods, mostly unworldly woman, who suddenly finds herself a multimillionaire. All her life, she's been poor, struggling to pay for necessities or doing without, then good fortune knocks on her door and she has more money than she knows what to do with. Enter the new bank manager who Cody takes into her confidence. The story is woven with many characters, most of whom are family with their hand out looking for their share. Cody's not a cheap skate, but she also realizes her family, or at least some of them will squander the money and then want more. If you know Susan Meagher's works you know it's a romance and it doesn't fail, but the back-story is for this reader the really intriguing part. I liked it a lot.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 10 Mar 2013, 09:47

Sounds interesting Deej. Susan Meagher is always good for some escapism and who hasn't dreamed of winning the lottery! Except I don't do it, so I'm not in it to win it!
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 10 Mar 2013, 10:44

:hmm: I see at least two things in the blurb that make me not want to read the book . WTF? The first is, the character wins the lottery and wants to throw the ticket away? If she "truly believes that money doesn't buy happiness" why buy the lottery in the first place? And even if she does buy it, which makes no sense, why not just give the money to someone? The second thing is "Given that Cody's never been inside a bank". Oh FFS.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 10 Mar 2013, 12:28

wildlx wrote:The second thing is "Given that Cody's never been inside a bank". Oh FFS.

I'm not sure how it is in other countries, Wildlx, but here there are many, many people who don't trust the government, don't trust corporations and don't trust banks. That was the point of this story, a woman who has never been in a bank, never had a checking account, hides her money in trees around the property and pays for everything in cash, suddenly she has all this money and realizes she needs to put it somewhere other than around her property. <shrug> It happens daily here in PA and the setting for this books is the hills of West Virginia which is even more mistrusting.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 10 Mar 2013, 12:50

Well, Dejay I am sure there are people here that keep their money in their below their mattresses or at an equivalent place and possibly a few that have never been inside a bank. The latter are certainly a minority and may only occur for very old people in isolated villages.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 11 Mar 2013, 02:26

Hidden Truths by Jae

BLURB - Lesbian Fiction: Historical Fiction - Sequel to Backwards to Oregon - "Luke" Hamilton has been living as a husband and father for the past seventeen years. No one but her wife, Nora, knows she is not the man she appears to be. They have raised their daughters to become honest and hard-working young women. But even with their loving foundation, a few fears and insecurities have Amy and Nattie hiding their own secrets. Just as Luke sets out on a dangerous trip to Fort Boise, a newcomer arrives on the ranch - Rika Aaldenberg, who traveled to Oregon as a mail-order bride, hiding that she's not the woman in her letters. When hidden truths are revealed, will their lives and their family fall apart or will love keep them together?

I love a good western. lol Well I enjoy any story that includes the horses, the west, etc and it's usually made better by having a lesbian within the pages. I enjoyed the original book, Backwards to Oregon and have read it numerous times. The sequel brings back all the characters years later, and the author weaves an interesting if somewhat unbelievable story. Six lesbians in one very small town was a jump for me, but who knows. I enjoyed Hidden Truths, but not as much as BTO. If you like westerns and sequels, you might enjoy this.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2013