Selkie Attempt # ...3? 4?

Members try to read 50 books in 2013. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Selkie Attempt # ...3? 4?

Postby Selkie » 05 Jul 2013, 14:46

#16. West of Nowhere by K.G. MacGregor 3stars

It was a great dream—while it lasted. At twenty-five, Amber Halliday had thought life on the road with the band was her ultimate fantasy come true. In the blink of an eye she finds herself abandoned at a truck stop in Kentucky. No money, no family and nowhere to go.

Even though her common sense tells her to drive on by, Navy veteran Joy Shepard simply can’t ignore a woman in distress. With more than half of a cross-country trip ahead of her, she does have space and a temporary job caring for Joy’s wheelchair-bound father.

Though Amber is grateful for Joy’s help, she’s immediately challenged by Joy’s excessive tidiness and stringent rules. Her father is even worse! For her part, Joy can’t believe anyone is so slovenly, so undisciplined, so …frustrating! Every mile increases the chances that their lives—and their hearts—will end up right where they met: nowhere.

In some ways a step up from Playing with Fuego (fewer lesfic tropes), this is still not one of MacGregor's best works. The military storyline, while a nice effort, felt thin. And the romance wasn't particularly well-developed.

I did enjoy the guardian-child subplot, but unfortunately that was only a small portion of the book.
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby Selkie » 05 Jul 2013, 16:11

#17. The Crush by Susan X. Meagher 3+stars

Aldo Bagnolesi finally has what he's long wanted. Control of the family winery in Tuscany. The only little detail is that someone has to manage the place for a few years. He's far too involved in his company to leave on such short notice, but his daughter…

Despite her worries, Nicola agrees to step up to the plate, even though her interest in Italy and wine is sorely lacking. Her father will relieve her in two years. How bad could two years in one the prettiest places on earth be?

The transition is tough and she's achingly lonely. Nic knows nothing about running a winery and can't talk to the workers or the wine maker. She's desperate for connection; for any semblance of her former busy social life. The closest gay bar is in Florence. She heads out—determined to at least talk to someone she has one thing in common with. To her delight, she finds not just a willing lesbian, but a sexy one—who seems equally interested in her.

It's crazy to put so much importance on a chance meeting. But sometimes, you have to throw your doubts to the winds and see what the universe has in store for you.

A nice long offering from S. X. Meagher. Nothing spectacular, but still enjoyable.

There is a lot of information presented about the 17 contrada of Siena, which was very interesting. Although I was often confused, my confusion mirrored Nicola's. You learn as she does. I didn't necessarily love this, but it was certainly preferable to having an info dump every other chapter.

The book is definitely longer than it needs to be. There were a number of points where I was expecting the end to be near... and then it wasn't! I wasn't unhappy that it kept going, but I do think the number of climax-resolutions is a negative.
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 05 Jul 2013, 16:25

#18. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman 4stars

When Richard Mayhew stops one day to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London pavement, his life is forever altered, for he finds himself propelled into an alternative reality that exists in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere.

My first Neil Gaiman book. The prose is written in such a way that necessitated me reading slowly to ensure I understood and didn't miss anything... which, in some ways, was a nice change from lesfic, which I fly through. Although I had a difficult time getting into the book, once I did, it was difficult to put down.

...which is somewhat surprising, given that I really didn't care for the main character, nor did I become particularly invested in any of the others. (Although I certainly have a favorite, bad-ass lady that she is). But the setting and the storyline and the characters as a whole were enough to keep me interested. That skill is what nets this book 4stars instead of 3+stars.
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 05 Jul 2013, 16:33

#19. Beware of Wolf: An Underdogs Novel by Geonn Cannon 3stars

Everyone in Seattle knows the name Melody Louise Scott. The little blonde girl with a mischievous grin disappeared three days ago, and every night since her photo has appeared on the news with pleas for any information that leads to her being found safe. Not everyone knows the name Jenna Morris who was just reported missing. The only difference between the two girls is that Melody is white and Jenna is black.

Fearing the worst and knowing the police won’t give her daughter priority, Jenna’s mother hires Ari so she’ll know that finding her daughter is the top priority for at least one person. Ari agrees to take the case, putting her at odds with a Detective Lorne, whom she first encountered during the Gavin debacle. Lorne has grown suspicious of what happened that night and uses the opportunity of working together to try and figure out what secrets Ari is hiding.

Meanwhile Ari becomes friends with a British canidae Millicent “Milo” Duncan, another wolf whose intentions may not be as pure as they first appear. With Ari distracted by the case and keeping Detective Lorne at arms’ length, Dale becomes more suspicious of the new arrival’s true motives for being in Seattle.

A pretty standard Geonn Cannon novel. The blurb is misleading, which I didn't like - there's almost nothing of Lorne in the book. The Milo situation is also resolved relatively early on in the book. Given that these were what grabbed my interest, I was definitely disappointed.

Furthermore, there was a bit of a twist which I didn't enjoy - not because it was uninteresting, but because there was no mention or even hint of it in Cannon's previous Underdogs literature (of which there is quite a lot).

I will likely read the next entry in the series, which continues the twist - because it wasn't uninteresting, and I care about the characters. But I am rankled by the lack of foreshadowing.
Selkie

Postby Baker » 07 Jul 2013, 08:40

Now, Selk, after seeing this burst of reading, ought I ask how your packing is going?

(BTW I've only read a Susan X. Meagher short story, and I thought that was waaaay too long. I don't have the courage to try a novel of hers.)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Selkie » 09 Jul 2013, 01:27

:lol:

Really well, actually! Boxes are full, just need to be taped up, addressed and mailed!

...I note that this progress came after all the reading (i.e., today). :whistle:

I've read a fair number of book by Susan Meagher, and I'm basically convinced she's not capable of writing something short. I still enjoy the books, but they could definitely benefit from some condensing. I believe she self-publishes, though, so...
Selkie

Postby Baker » 09 Jul 2013, 07:31

Selkie wrote:...I note that this progress came after all the reading (i.e., today). :whistle:

lol Well done for finally getting it finished!

Selk wrote:I still enjoy the books, but they could definitely benefit from some condensing. I believe she self-publishes, though, so...

Ah. That is a shame. Although, the short story I read by her was in the collection "Outsiders", which I think a certain editor not a million miles away had some involvement with.

Anecdote: In that short story, I remember she used the word "quotidian"; which struck me as a particularly ironic dip into the less frequently swam depths of vocabularly.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 10 Jul 2013, 04:59

Baker wrote:Anecdote: In that short story, I remember she used the word "quotidian"; which struck me as a particularly ironic dip into the less frequently swam depths of vocabularly.

Why ironic? I must be missing something :scratch:.
"Quotidian" is not something I see a lot in English but in Portuguese we commonly use "quotidiano/a".
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 10 Jul 2013, 07:29

Quotidian is a rarely used word in English, and I found it ironic that she used so obscure a word to mean ordinary.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 13 Jul 2013, 10:01

I didn't know what quotidian meant. Had I seen it in a book I would have looked it up (having tried to guess and then be curious to know if I was correct). I have rarely, if ever, heard it used in normal speech, because I'd have looked it up and remembered it!
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2013