Selkie Attempt # ...3? 4?

Members try to read 50 books in 2013. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Selkie Attempt # ...3? 4?

Postby Selkie » 23 Apr 2013, 12:29

I have utterly failed at this the last few years, but I'm going to give it another go, regardless!

1star: Waste of Time
2stars: Not Particularly Enjoyable
3stars: Average
3+stars: Enjoyable
4stars: Very Enjoyable, Recommended
4+stars: Excellent, Will Read Again
5stars: Blew Me Away
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions

Re: Selkie Attempt # ...3? 4?

Postby Baker » 23 Apr 2013, 14:00

That's the spirit!

And, let's face it, you can't do worse than me. ;)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Selkie » 23 Apr 2013, 14:38

:lol: I don't know... I think my count last year was all of one? :sweat: (Not counting fanfiction - it only counts if it's published!)
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 23 Apr 2013, 14:39

#1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 3+stars to 4stars (I couldn't decide!)

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen who lives alone with her mother and younger sister regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival for her is second nature. Without really meaning to she becomes a contender. But if she is to win she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

It took me forever and a day to get into this book. I kept starting and stopping, rarely getting past the first five pages. But when I finally pushed through, I found I really enjoyed it. Anytime I wasn't otherwise occupied, I sat down and read.

One thing that struck me, which I really appreciated, was how often the author referenced Katniss' age. I found it easy to forget that fact, given the situations she was in. And being reminded made the events have that much more impact.

Didn't enjoy the movie all that much, though. Possibly because I watched it just days after finishing the book. :x
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 23 Apr 2013, 14:49

#2. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins 3+stars

Against all odds Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects and Katniss and Peeta to their horror are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

I read this book immediately after The Hunger Games. I really enjoyed the first half, which explored Katniss' life after winning.

The second half... it frustrated me to no end. Which is why I must acknowledge that it was well done. I knew there had to be more going on than what the audience was privy to. But the reveal took so long! I alternated between doubting myself and wishing I could hurry up and know.

But the frustration I felt is why this book is firmly at 3+stars for me, and not edging up on 4stars.
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 23 Apr 2013, 14:56

#3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins 3+stars

Against all odds Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that shes made it out of the bloody arena alive shes still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And whats worse President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katnisss family not her friends not the people of District 12.

This, I read immediately after Catching Fire. Another well-done book by Suzanne Collins.

I thought Katniss' struggles were very realistic. Had she not been severely affected by the events of the previous books, I likely would have been frustrated. And the writing was done in such a way that I really felt what she was going through.

This book was also rather political - more political than I usually enjoy - which is why it didn't quite reach past 3+stars for me.
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 23 Apr 2013, 15:07

#4. Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey 4stars to 4+stars (I couldn't decide!)

Loup Garron was born and raised in Santa Olivia, an isolated, disenfranchised town next to a US military base inside a DMZ buffer zone between Texas and Mexico. A fugitive "Wolf-Man" who had a love affair with a local woman, Loup's father was one of a group of men genetically-manipulated and used by the US government as a weapon. The "Wolf-Men" were engineered to have superhuman strength, speed, sensory capability, stamina, and a total lack of fear, and Loup, named for and sharing her father's wolf-like qualities, is marked as an outsider.

After her mother dies, Loup goes to live among the misfit orphans at the parish church, where they seethe from the injustices visited upon the locals by the soldiers. Eventually, the orphans find an outlet for their frustrations: They form a vigilante group to support Loup Garron who, costumed as their patron saint, Santa Olivia, uses her special abilities to avenge the town.

Aware that she could lose her freedom, and possibly her life, Loup is determined to fight to redress the wrongs her community has suffered. And like the reincarnation of their patron saint, she will bring hope to all of Santa Olivia.

The town and people that the country forgot - an interesting and unfortunately all too real* take on what can happen in a war. Towns and the people in them can suffer from more than just destruction - they can also suffer isolation and being forgotten by the general populace**.

I really enjoyed this book. There was action, friendship, romance, and more. Recommended.

*Minus the werewolf-y sci-fi bits.
**At, of course, the encouragement of the government
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 23 Apr 2013, 15:14

#5. Saints Astray by Jacqueline Carey 3+stars to 4stars (I couldn't decide!)

Fellow orphans, amateur vigilantes, and members of the Santitos, Loup Garron-the fugitive daughter of a genetically engineered "wolf man"-and Pilar Ecchevarria grew up in the military zone of Outpost 12, formerly known as Santa Olivia. But now they're free, and they want to help the rest of the Santitos escape. During a series of escapades, they discover that Miguel, Loup's former sparring partner and reprobate surrogate brother, has escaped from Outpost 12 and is testifying on behalf of its forgotten citizens-at least until he disappears from protective custody. Honor drives Loup to rescue Miguel, even though entering the U.S could mean losing her liberty. Pilar vows to help her.

It will take a daring and absurd caper to extricate Miguel from the mess he's created but Loup is prepared to risk everything... and this time she has help.

The sequel to Santa Olivia. I enjoyed the first book more, but this was still a great read. It's a bit more of a romance than the first book, but not overly so. The romance plays an important role, but is not the focus.

I did find it a bit political, which detracted from my enjoyment - hence the slightly lower star rating.
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 23 Apr 2013, 15:23

#6. The Rise and Fall of Radiation Canary by Geonn Cannon 4stars

Karen Everett isn’t looking to join a band the day she loses her notebook of poetry. She plays the cello and is unsure about what she wants in life, but she’s pretty sure it doesn’t involve being a professional musician. But a crush on the band’s beautiful lead singer Lana Kent, along with the desire to have her poetry shared with a larger audience, leads her to throw caution to the wind and play an audition that leads to her being invited to join the band at gigs. After a spur of the moment decision lands them a spot on national television, Karen and the band find themselves riding an unexpected wave of popularity. Soon they’re touring the country, recording albums, making music videos, and trying to find time to have a personal life amid all the craziness. Aware that their surge in popularity is due to a fortuitous combination of popular trends and knowing they only have a few good years before their celebrity begins to wane, the ladies of Radiation Canary strive to make the most of their time in the spotlight before the public moves on. With one eye on the inevitable end of their fame even as their popularity hits its peak, the band learns that it’s not how high you fly, it’s how gracefully you fall.

Not your average romance! This is very different from Geonn Cannon's other books. It follows an all-women band called Radiation Canary, from their very start right through to the end. The main focus is on the two lesbian band members, but the two straight members get some time as well.

The main story is the relationship between these four women, and the experiences they have as the search for fame and then try to keep it. There is some romance, but I would say the main theme is more about family.

When the book was nearing it's end, I cried. Bawled my eyes out*. Not because it was sad, but because something great was ending. And by that, I don't mean the book. I mean that chapter of the character's lives.

It's not perfect. It has it's flaws. But it's a long book, and interspersed with your more typical lesfic moments is a very interesting story - The Rise and Fall of Radiation Canary. Recommended.

*Keeping in mind that I'm a sentimental fool, k?
Last edited by Selkie on 24 Apr 2013, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Selkie

Postby wildlx » 24 Apr 2013, 07:15

Baker wrote:That's the spirit!

And, let's face it, you can't do worse than me. ;)

lol
Go Baker and Selkie!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2013