Proofrdr's Feeble Attempt

Members try to read 50 books in 2013. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Proofrdr's Feeble Attempt

Postby Proofrdr » 10 Jun 2013, 04:53

I read a lot. Honestly, I do. But I hate writing about it, especially when it's just okay. So I'm going to start with a book I just finished because it's more than just okay.

#1 The Raid by Lee Lynch.
This is no lesfic romance; it's a well-written literary novel. The year is 1961 and the action takes place primarily in a gay bar in the seedy part of a small Massachusetts town. The cast of characters is an ensemble of both gays and lesbians who make up the regulars at the bar. While the focus is primarily on the lesbians, all of the characters are beautifully written. And the times jumped to life right off those pages--sad and happy, terrifying and hopeful, fearful and defiant. It was the 60s just as they were in small towns everywhere. The Raid will go on my book shelf next to Stone Butch Blues. It's part of the chronicle of our history.

This is not news, but it bears repeating: Lee Lynch can write.
I give it an A+.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Proofrdr's Feeble Attempt

Postby wildlx » 10 Jun 2013, 22:01

Thanks for the tip :). Is this the book that has Dejay as a character?
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 11 Jun 2013, 00:28

Yes...Deej is in there.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 21 Jun 2013, 04:55

#2 Something to Believe by Robbi McCoy

Ah, finally, a lesfic romance I truly enjoyed. This is a well-written romance of substance. McCoy tells a good story and describes some rather unusual settings beautifully. She meticulously develops her characters who are, by the way, ordinary women who do not wear Armani suits or live in mansions. They're just trying to get through life as honestly and happily as they can while beset by common temptations and tragedies. This was a good read.

Afterthought: McCoy handles love scenes the way I like them--with nuanced suggestion aplenty, but without the detailed mechanics.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 21 Jun 2013, 07:32

Praise indeed.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby ElaineB » 24 Jun 2013, 04:29

I read this recently too and also liked it.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2013