Wildlx tries again

Record our reading attempts, successes, and failures for 2014.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Wildlx tries again

Postby wildlx » 17 Jan 2014, 01:41

1star: utter crap
2stars: not worth reading
3stars: okay but nothing out of the ordinary
3+stars: pretty good; you will probably enjoy it
4stars: really good; I recommend it
4+stars: very good indeed; I'll be reading this one again
5stars: the best I've read in a long time.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Wildlx tries again

Postby wildlx » 17 Jan 2014, 01:54

I've been swamped in work with the outcome that I've only had time to read mind-numbing stuff.

#1.Puppy Love by L T Smith: 2+stars
Typical lesfic and not very memorable.

#2.Saving Morgan by MB Panichi: 2+stars
Pseudo SF lesfic but really a romance.

#3.How sweet it is by Melissa Brayden: 2+stars
The ending was completely over the top. The writer must be a fan of those 40s movies where fantasy abounds.

#4.Three Days by L T Marie: 2+stars
Typical lesfic and not very memorable.

#5.The Murder Wall by Mari Hannah: 3+stars
I still haven't finished this one. It is a mainstream murder mystery but the main character, DCI Kate Daniels, is a closeted lesbian. I am liking it so far because it has a plot and the MC is a nuanced character. Finally finished and it was an enjoyable read!
Last edited by wildlx on 29 Jan 2014, 07:47, edited 2 times in total.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 17 Jan 2014, 06:53

wildlx wrote:The writer must be a fan of those 40s movies where fantasy abounds.

Ouch.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 18 Jan 2014, 06:42

Suspension of disbelief has limits ;-).
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 29 Jan 2014, 07:50

Finished the Mari Hannah book.

#6.Weight by Jeanette Winterson: 3+stars
Started this one last night. It's from the same Canongate collection of revisited myths to which Margaret Atwood's The penelopiad and Ali Smith's Boy Meets Girl belong.
Finished the book, finally. Not among my favourite Winterson books although it has some chapters with brilliant writing. Among them the chapter "Leaning on the limits of myself" where she personalizes Atlas story.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 28 Feb 2014, 13:05

#7.Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro: 5stars
Wow. This book is brilliant. A dystopian view of human nature and condition.

Has anyone read it?
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 02 Mar 2014, 07:25

I will do.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 03 Mar 2014, 05:57

Great :-)!
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 23 Mar 2014, 12:17

#8.Blood Shot by Sara Paretsky: 3+stars
A good mystery book by this author. I am moving my way chronologically and this one is the 5th in the series.

#9.Emotionally Weird by Kate Atkinson: 3+stars

On a weather-beaten island off the coast of Scotland, Effie and her mother, Nora, take refuge in the large, mouldering house of their ancestors and tell each other stories. Nora, at first, recounts nothing that Effie really wants to hear--like who her real father was. Effie tells various versions of her life at college, where in fact she lives in a lethargic relationship with Bob, a student who never goes to lectures, seldom gets out of bed, and to whom Klingons are as real as Spaniards and Germans.

But as mother and daughter spin their tales, strange things are happening around them. Is Effie being followed? Is someone killing the old people? And where is the mysterious yellow dog?

The book does not fulfill at that it promised initially. The book is layered with different stories within stories, and it was sometimes hard to understand what was real and what was not. Also, there are some parts towards the end of the book where it was hard to see where it was going or, to paraphrase what one character asked more than once, where was the plot? However, Kate Atkinson manages to give an ending with sense to all those intricate stories. Besides her writing technique, which I liked (hint: Baker you will find this book interesting!), I loved Kate Atkinson's sense of humour. The book made me laugh out loud at parts, e.g. the hilarious descriptions of lectures at the English Department of Dundee University, which is full of dysfunctional lecturers and crazy students and where Effie, the narrator, is studying creative writing.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 10 Apr 2014, 05:18

#10.Wingspan by Karis Walsh: 2stars

This is a lesfic book of an author who seems to be on the slippery slope. I think this will be the last book by her I will read.

#11.Austerity: The History of a dangerous idea by Mark Blyth: 4stars
I really liked this book. Blyth writing is very clear and I particularly liked that his analysis included what is going on in the Eurozone. He showed evidences in the book that austerity has proven along time to be a bad choice with severe consequences for common people yet it keeps being defended by politicians and economists based not on science but on morality. He also made clear that economics is far from being a science. His discussion of the expansonist austerity theory based on n=1, which served as a framework for the current austerity imposed in the EU makes you want to :bash:. More, he showed in the book that the Euro framework is equivalent to the Gold standard that had terrible consequences in the past. It was very important for me reading the book because it made my voting choice in the next elections for the European Parliament much clearer.
Last edited by wildlx on 11 Apr 2014, 03:10, edited 2 times in total.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to Reading 2014