Wildlx tries again

Record our reading attempts, successes, and failures for 2014.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Wildlx tries again

Postby FranW » 06 Dec 2014, 15:26

Personally, I want to hear [i]Athena's[/i] opinions on having to live with Proof while she reads the dingo book.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 07 Dec 2014, 10:23

We spent the day decorating for Christmas. The tree went up and was decorated, then Bella undecorated some of it. We foiled her by not putting any of the heirloom or breakable ornaments. Athena is sitting on the couch, playing a game on her laptop and I decided to start the book.

It's a given that I began with trepidation, but I had decided to try to read with an open mind. That's already been challenged in the 2nd paragraph. She's in a plane, just woke up; the landscape below is described as quite lovely. And then there is this sentence: "She sniffed, her temper frayed from lack of sleep." What does that mean? She's either smelling something or expressing disdain for something. If the latter, what is it and what's that got to do with a lack of sleep?

Did I miss something or is this the disregard she has for the meanings of words? Maybe I'm being picky, but that kind of writings bothers me.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 08 Dec 2014, 02:30

:snigger: I'm sure you will be bothered by a lot in this book ;-).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 08 Dec 2014, 03:22

You laugh! If this were in paper form, I'd be writing all over it. Good grief, what a train wreck!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 08 Dec 2014, 06:36

:snigger: It gets much worse. And continues to deteriorate. Wild has found a gem here.

Have you read to the car accident wtih the roo yet? Try reading that aloud to Athena.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 08 Dec 2014, 06:40

lol Did you do that to Fran? I can see why she curses me!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 08 Dec 2014, 15:28

Athena's been hearing me muttering. When she asked what the problem was, I told her it was a godawful book that the WIld One sent me. She asked why we torture ourselves.
I had no answer.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 11 Dec 2014, 10:11

lol I guess I just kept going because it was so bad I kept wondering what would come next.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 13 Dec 2014, 08:12

Exactly. You find yourself wondering if it's possible that the book can get any worse. (spoiler: yes, it can.)

You ought to be pleased with yourself for this one, Wild. If we had a list of All-Time Dreadful Lesfic, this one would get my vote for being on it.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 13 Dec 2014, 11:37

The abrupt changes in the MC's mood suggest a seriously warped mind—is it the author's? Sudden anger, sudden awarenesses, sudden shifts in attitude . . . oy, oy, oy! This was a train wreck by page 2, but its forward momentum downward still increases. I truly fear the end. :scared:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Reading 2014