Wildlx tries again

Record our reading attempts, successes, and failures for 2014.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Wildlx tries again

Postby wildlx » 13 Dec 2014, 22:22

Yes, Baker I agree that this is one of the worse published lesfic books I've read.

Fortitude, Proof ;-)!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 14 Dec 2014, 07:23

(Touche! :snigger: )
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 16 Dec 2014, 08:29

:)
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 18 Dec 2014, 03:06

#49.Beauty and Misogyny by Sheila Jeffreys: 5stars
Great book: challenging, disturbing, eye opening. A must read.
In Beauty and Misogyny I suggest that beauty practices are not about women's individual choice or a ``discursive space'' for women's creative expression but, as other radical feminist theorists have argued before me, a most important aspect of women's oppression.

[...]
In this book I attempt to identify some of the `forces` which maintain the subordination of women to men'' in relation to beauty practices. I seek to make sense of why beauty practices are not only just as pervasive 30 years after the feminist critique developed, but in many ways are more extreme.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 24 Dec 2014, 12:36

I finished I Can't Dance Alone. What does the title have to do with the story anyway? No matter, that's the least of this book's problems.

We are presented, on the one hand, with a wealthy, beautiful surgeon-cum-psychologist who can do just about anything but control her quick-trigger temper and, on the other hand, with a mysterious and wealthy, beautiful veterinarian who is equally quick tempered. They are placed in the Outback where we are to believe that beautiful women are an oddity. Why ever are they there? Could it be that they are both running away from something. And it's true! They are running away! Surprise.

The characters are not well written. The doc goes from frazzled to calm in a millisecond. There is no logic to her emotional highs and lows, and her quick shifts in attitude and abrupt decisions have no rationale. The eureka-I'm-a-lesbian moment was just silly and over-dramatic.
Nothing would be the same again, she knew. Her libido had blazed alive, like no other time in her life. There was absolutely no doubt now why she hadn't been able to make relationships with men work.
She hasn't even kissed a woman yet!

The vet's basic problem could have been valid, but it was dealt with in such a simplistic way that it also failed totally in giving depth to her character.

I have so many WTFs written across pages of this book, it's ridiculous. I was bothered by the obligatory descriptive passages that occurred every time the scene changed. There was no transition into or out of those descriptive passages. It was almost as if she wrote the book then dropped blobs of description here and there. There were similar inserts of Sarah's deep thoughts about things. For example, after she saves her first patient in the Outback, we are blessed with this pompous bit of purple prose:
At the door she looked back at the little girl and thought how tenuous was a person's hold on life. How fragile too was their hold on emotions. Tired and dejected, she headed for home.

Then too phrases like this bothered me:
She took her first mouthful, savouring the taste of dry wine laced with a hint of gooseberries and pepper.
If everything else wrong with her weren't enough, she's a wine snob too.

Thank you, Wildlx, for the experience. I shall try to repay you in kind.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 24 Dec 2014, 23:12

lol Will do. Although that book, as Baker wrote, is among the best of the worse.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 25 Dec 2014, 07:34

Proof, want to be VP of the Wildlx Anti-Fan Club? I'm President For Life, thanks to the books she's sent Bakey....
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 25 Dec 2014, 07:36

Proofrdr wrote:Thank you, Wildlx, for the experience. I shall try to repay you in kind.

lol Now that is a promise!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Dec 2014, 10:23

I fully appreciate the offer, Fran, but I think it prudent to pass on that honor. :scared:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 27 Dec 2014, 04:20

FranW wrote:Proof, want to be VP of the Wildlx Anti-Fan Club? I'm President For Life, thanks to the books she's sent Bakey....

I'll have to find another book soon ;-).
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Reading 2014