Wildlx readings

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Wildlx readings

Postby wildlx » 24 Sep 2015, 08:44

I found out recently, to my surprise, that the 'born gay' meme is much more popular than I thought. At least among USAins and Brits.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Wildlx readings

Postby wildlx » 29 Oct 2015, 09:53

#12.Men's trapped in men's bodies. Narratives of Autogynephilic Transsexualism. by Anne Lawrence 3stars
Very compelling evidence regarding Blanchard's theory that most non-homosexual M2T are autogynephilics i.e men who want to change sex not because they are “born trapped in the wrong body,” but because they are sexually aroused by the idea of themselves as women. Lawrence uses the testimony of about 300 autogynephilic M2T to make clearer the phenomenon of autogynephilia. An important book if you are interested in understanding the motivations behind transition of heterosexual and bisexual males.

#13.Galileo’s Middle Finger by Alice Dreger 3stars

Interesting, although the author has, IMO, a very big ego. Dreger is a Bioethics historian and got involved in intersex activism while doing her PhD on intersex, a story which she tells at the beginning of the book. I became interested in reading the book because Dreger defended Michael Bailey after the polemic due to the publication of “The Man Who Would Be Queen” a book which took to the mainstream Blanchard's theory of autogynephilic transexuals. She, like Bailey and his family, was also persecuted by trans activists. This led her to became interested in other scientists which were also persecuted due to their ideas not being politically correct. A particularly shocking story she got involved is the 'anti-lesbian drug' (that was one of the purposes of the use of the drug) i.e. the misuse of the steroid dexamethasone in pregnant women which genetics tests showed to be at risk at having children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH)
In females, CAH sometimes creates masculinized genitalia and, in some cases, medical issues that are usually manageable. Females with CAH are more likely to be lesbians than the general population. Maria New, a prominent ­pediatrician at Mount Sinai in New York, for almost three decades has been conducting, funded by the NIH (to study long term effects of the drug, which she doesn't publish), poorly regulated and dangerous experiments on fetuses, using dexamethasone to make foetal development more typical.
My enjoyment of the book was reduced by the fact that the Bailey chapter, the subject I knew already a lot about, is, IMO ,a bit biased and with inaccuracies.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Reading 2015