Wildlx readings

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Wildlx readings

Postby wildlx » 07 Jan 2015, 06:30

Well done, Baker, starting this thread. Sue just sent me a BSB book saying it is good :-o !

1star: utter crap
2stars: not worth reading
3stars: okay but nothing out of the ordinary
3+stars: pretty good; you will probably enjoy it
4stars: really good; I recommend it
4+stars: very good indeed; I'll be reading this one again
5stars: the best I've read in a long time.
Last edited by wildlx on 07 Jan 2015, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Wildlx readings

Postby Baker » 07 Jan 2015, 07:14

OMG! Proof! Quickly! Hide! :hide:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 07 Jan 2015, 07:39

Dearest, loveliest Wildlx: there is NO NEED for you to send that book on to my wife.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 07 Jan 2015, 08:05

lol
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 30 Jan 2015, 10:23

#1.Gender Hurts: A Feminist Analysis of the Politics of Transgenderism by Sheila Jeffreys: 4+stars
Very well written. I've been researching about this lately and she is right on target. Even though I knew about most subjects, two of the chapters, about MTF and children were partly a surprise and not in a nice way. For a more detailed comment here is a review by a transwoman: https://transhumanoid.wordpress.com/201 ... ts-review/

#2.The Women's Suffrage Movement by Molly Housego & Neil R. Storey : 3+stars
This is small booklet (~60pages) with lots of photos I bought when I last visited the Museum of London. Nice reading. Made me want to read more about the suffragettes.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 Feb 2015, 07:17

I've only read about the British suffrage movement. (NZ enfranchised women without the force-feeding and death-by-racehorse.) The Pankhurst family are a fascinating group. The way women got dicked-around by politicians of all stripes is enraging. The movement engaged women of all classes--though the working poor didn't have much leisure to go tub-thumping or disrupt meetings--so you see the way that fractured the suffragettes. The arguments about tactics are fascinating, and apply to any protest movement by an oppressed group trying to get rights. With, of course, the added larding of misogyny. And with such intense working relationships formed between women--were any lesbians? ;) Definitely a movement that I think you'd get something interesting from reading about, Wild.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 02 Feb 2015, 11:57

I agree with you on the Pankhursts. You read recently a book about Sylvia Pankhurst, haven't you? I read sometime ago -checked and it was 1991- another book about UK suffrage " One hand tied behind us" by Jill Liddington & Jill Norris, which was not centered on the Pankhursts.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 03 Feb 2015, 07:39

Yes, that's right. I have a biography on Sylvia. I'll post it to you when I find it.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 03 Feb 2015, 09:55

Thanks! Are you interested in mine?
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 10 Feb 2015, 07:50

#3.Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie: 3+stars
This is second book of the series that started with Ancillary Justice. I didn't like it as much as the first one in the series, probably because there is no longer the novelty of the way she makes gender absent. The plot was OK, mostly political intrigue like in the first book, and I like the main character. I will probably read the next one.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to Reading 2015