Wildlx readings

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Wildlx readings

Postby Baker » 01 Sep 2015, 10:41

I'm detecting a theme to recent reading, Wild.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 05 Sep 2015, 20:57

Feminism ;)? I've been reading more nonfiction and I had a load of feminist books on my to read pile.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 07 Sep 2015, 06:26

Regarding the book I've just read, BBC has just started a series on The Ascent of Woman. Here's the 1st episode.

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 11 Sep 2015, 08:17

I'll add that to our "to watch" list.

You always read a fair bit of feminism, but it seems lately that you've been on a more hardcore binge with less light relief. At least, that's my impression.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 16 Sep 2015, 09:58

I've just posted the link to the second episode in the right thread, i.e. 'they're only women'.

True, I've been reading more radical feminist books within the feminist books. But that's where I've always been situated politically. I don't care much for 'fun feminism' and 3rd wave feminism, which more and more I don't consider feminism at all. Anyway, I've changed now a bit on the theme since I got challenged by a transwoman activist I know, to learn more about autogynephilia as they believe that autogynephilia explains most nonhomosexual male transgenderism. It has also helped in raising my interest the fact that something that I was told sometime ago was 'bad science' is very obvious in transwomen I've interacted with. It seems to me so far that it is considered 'bad science' because it's politically inconvenient... I'm on my second book on the subject. I'll post more soon about the books.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 17 Sep 2015, 08:02

Interesting. I'd not heard that term before.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 18 Sep 2015, 10:30

I had a superficial knowledge about it's existence and that there was some controversy from the time I worked on a document for trans law changes here. Most people only know the 'official/media' trans narratives such as the silly 'born in the wrong body' which implies males with 'female brains' and vice versa.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 20 Sep 2015, 08:32

Well, thank you for posting that link, because I'm happy to learn more.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 20 Sep 2015, 22:54

I know you do. :). I'm still reading the second book which is Men's trapped in men's bodies by Anne Lawrence but I'll post about the first one.

#11.The Man Who Would Be Queen: The Science of Gender-Bending and Transsexualism by J. Michael Bailey 3stars

This book was made available on line by Bailey, who is a professor of psychology at Northwestern University, after the harrassment by trans activists to him and his family (including his children).More on the harrassment here: http://www.annelawrence.com/shame_&_nar ... c_rage.pdf .
Bailey's book is here: http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/JM ... TMWWBQ.pdf
This persecution is also documented in a book I'll be reading next, Alice Dreger's Galileo's Middle Finger

The first part of the book is about male homosexuality and I didn't agree with a lot of what I read.I found Bailey a supporter of the common view psychiatrists have on gender, which is alien to my POV. He is very conservative, with very strict divisions between what is feminine and masculine all put into 2 boxes. Also, those generalizations/stereotypes of almost all gay males being very 'feminine' make no sense at all. One thing that irritated me was that he wanted to prove he is very liberal (I have gay students and know gay friends...) yet, it seemed to me that he has some problems with homosexuality and even uses at a time a dialogue with his son to make his son say what he really thinks. Another, was the weak arguments re the 'science' of gay genes, of which, apparently, he is a great defender.
In the second part of the book he deals with transsexuality and presented Ray Blanchard's theory of autogynephilia and typology. Briefly, homosexual males who transition are not autogynephiles but nonhomosexual males are autogynephiles, i.e. men who feel sexually aroused only when fantasizing themselves with a female body, which Blanchard considers a paraphilia and a sexual orientation, and that is what drives their wish to have female bodies. I found this part more convincing namely because, not only are there some rare people who admit publicly they are autogynephiles, also I've seen depictions of autogynephilia. For example, this is a quote from Bailey's book:

When I pointed this out, one cross-dresser said “I wear feminine clothing because I feel feminine, and I can’t help getting aroused because the clothes are sexy. Any man would.

And this is a recent tweet from a well known UK 'lesbian' transwoman activist on a conversation about autogynephilia which they are denying exists:

This was followed by admiting that a tweet that shows they think all transwomen are like that:

So, autogynephilia exists, and although there has been criticisms on the typology in some papers published by transwomen skiming over those papers I found that in none of them it is denied that autogynephilia exists. However, when you mention autogynephilia it is automatically said by everyone that it is a discredited theory and some of these authors say in public discouse that autogynephilia is BS and has been discretided as a valid scientific theory.The question would be why don't people know about it? The first reason is, IMO, that quick acess to info is done through wikipedia, of which trans activist control the editing. Recently one of them, Andrea James, who was the leader of the harrassment against Bailey, was recently suspended as a Wikipedia editor. Two other reasons are pointed out in Bailey's book:

Blanchard’s ideas have not yet received the widespread attention they deserve, in large part because sex researchers are not as scholarly as they should be and so don’t read the current scientific journals.

In my experience, most laypeople are happy to accept the “I’m a woman in a man’s body” narrative, and don’t really want to know about autogynephilia—even though the preferred narrative is misleading and it is impossible to understand nonhomosexual transsexualism without autogynephilia. When I have tried to educate journalists who have called me as an expert on transsexualism, they have reacted uncomfortably. One said: “We just can’t put that into a family newspaper.” Perhaps not, but then they can’t print the truth.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 21 Sep 2015, 07:45

Wild wrote: One thing that irritated me was that he wanted to prove he is very liberal (I have gay students and know gay friends...) yet, it seemed to me that he has some problems with homosexuality and even uses at a time a dialogue with his son to make his son say what he really thinks. Another, was the weak arguments re the 'science' of gay genes, of which, apparently, he is a great defender.

Good grief. :roll:
Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Reading 2015