Wildlx readings

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Wildlx readings

Postby Baker » 01 Jul 2015, 10:42

That would be cool.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 02 Jul 2015, 01:28

Yes, it was cool! It was almost like having a literary seance. ;)

I loved that building and was really upset when cleared it and 2 contiguous properties to create a home for the uni's first computer. And that started my love of computers . . . the behemoth kind that filled the building and used punch cards and CPM. I have often wondered if that computer had been at Brown in 1960 when I began, if I might not have majored in computer science.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 06 Jul 2015, 08:33

Proofrdr wrote: It was almost like having a literary seance.

Nice turn of phrase! :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 06 Aug 2015, 00:07

#9.Radical Feminism Today by Denise Thompson 4stars
This is a 2001 book based on Thompson's PhD thesis entitled Against the Dismantling of Feminism: A Study in the Politics of Meaning. In the book she aims at defining feminism (defends that plural is not needed) which according to her has to do with male domination/supremacy and a hierarchical system of power where only males have a human status. She criticizes both the erasure of naming males as the problem and a lot of what passes as feminism which is really antifeminism. She also analyzes issues that, have divided feminists such as gender, race and class. Well written and very much worth reading.

Feminism aims to expose the reality of male domination, while struggling for a world where women are recognized as human beings in their own right. Using the unequivocal and adamantine terminology of ‘male domination’ and its synonyms does not mean men’s absolute power and women’s absolute powerlessness. It is used for the sake of clarity, in order to designate as clearly as possible what it is that feminism is opposing.

'Domination’ refers to a hierarchical social order wherein the interests of some prevail at the expense of the interests of others. It refers to social arrangements which facilitate the interests of elites to the detriment of categories of people excluded from access to the resources needed for even the most basic human dignity. It is maintained partly through ideological means to ensure the consent of the oppressed to their own oppression and to provide justifications for maintaining the status quo, partly through the threat, and periodic actual exercise, of violence. Male domination means that the male represents the ‘human’ norm at the expense of a human status for women. Men’s interests and values are set up as universal ‘human’ interests, and genuinely human values like reason, virtue or courage are appropriated as exclusive to men. At the same time, male domination means that the female is regarded as subsidiary, subservient, ancillary to, or absent from, the ‘human’ norm, while the interests, values and rights of women are denied, trivialized or derided, and women’s time, energy and attention are expropriated for men’s use and pleasure. Under conditions of male supremacy, women are allowed, at best, a second-rate ‘human’ status acquired through relations of subordination to men; at worst, women’s needs and interests are ignored, and women are treated as if we had no rights and no claim to be accorded human respect and dignity
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 07 Aug 2015, 08:09

Sounds like you had a thought-provoking read, Wild. That "not naming the problem" is common, isn't it? The first examples that leap to mind are things like rape, domestic violence, and even mass gun shootings in the USA. The majority of perpetrators are male, yet we don't focus on that, do we?
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 07 Aug 2015, 10:22

The VAST majority are males. I don't recollect a single incident of a woman going on a killing rampage. Not enough testosterone, I guess.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 10 Aug 2015, 10:11

Baker wrote:Sounds like you had a thought-provoking read, Wild. That "not naming the problem" is common, isn't it? The first examples that leap to mind are things like rape, domestic violence, and even mass gun shootings in the USA. The majority of perpetrators are male, yet we don't focus on that, do we?

Exactly. The violence is done by only individuals that happen to be overwhelmingly of the male sex (e.g. 90% of homicides in the USA) but we can't say that because namalt.:roll:. Actually, things get truly ridiculous because in some cases the only common factor is that the offenders are males (e.g. mass shootings)
BTW, I suggest an interesting google experiment. If you want to know about male violence (against women) you would probably start by googling 'male violence statistics'. Most of the first links we get are about violence AGAINST males.

Anyway,Baker and Proof. Check your dropbox folders. I shared the book with you.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 10 Aug 2015, 22:29

Thank you!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 13 Aug 2015, 08:13

Thank you!
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 30 Aug 2015, 06:19

#10.The Creation of Patriarchy by Gerda Lerner 5stars
Gerda Lerner wrote this book in 1986 and I've been meaning to read it for ages since everybody quotes it.This is a book not to be missed as Lerner seemed to me to be quite objective and not prone to enter Utopian thoughts about our past history. Still she manages to demonstrate clearly that patriarchy was created. I like that she does a class analysis and found particularly interesting the chapters on slavery and prostitution (its origin related to religion was a surprise).
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Reading 2015