Baker Loiters Through the Pages

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Baker Loiters Through the Pages

Postby wildlx » 16 Sep 2015, 09:31

I see it's related to J.P. Morgan. I had no idea there was a 'House of Morgan'.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 17 Sep 2015, 07:59

Oh, yes. JP Morgan Stanley and Morgan Chase are offshoots of the same investment bank started by the Morgan family. (It split into two after the Glass-Steagall act, but remained tied by the Morgan family being prominent in both entities.) The House of Morgan is the name the author has given to the dynasty of bankers.

Interestingly, Anne Morgan, a daughter of J Pierpont Morgan, played for our team. She shocked the old chaps sock's off by setting up in a menage a trois with two other women.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 18 Sep 2015, 10:35

I bet you found that part of the book interesting ;).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 18 Sep 2015, 13:29

Actually, she was quite a woman. She died when I was in high school and our history teacher spent an entire session telling us about her and how important she was to working people. She was known to Rhode Islanders because her family often summered here in Newport as did many of the socialites of New York. In the early 1900s, Ann Morgan was one of the socialites who helped the "shirtwaist" workers organize as a union. These were women, mostly immigrants, who worked in the clothing factories for long hours and under appalling conditions. She helped them organize and go on strike.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 20 Sep 2015, 08:30

Yes, she was a noted philanthropist. (And, of course, being a girl, she wasn't taken into the family firm...)

Hey, Proof, did her being a dyke get a mention from your teacher? Or would that have been too far beyond the pale for the times?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 20 Sep 2015, 13:08

Good grief, no! :yikes: Such things would never have been mentioned in a classroom then. I'm not even sure it would be relevant now to a discussion of trade unionism in the US.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Reading 2015