Baker Loiters Through the Pages

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Baker Loiters Through the Pages

Postby wildlx » 11 Jun 2015, 08:22

That last one does seem interesting.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 20 Jun 2015, 10:54

Pakula, Hannah An Uncommon Woman: the Life Of Princess Vicky: the Empress Frederick

3stars

For all that this was a mammoth book at nearly 800 pages, I felt like it didn't really deliver much of an insight into her character and life. I know that seems strange. It included many extracts from her letters and the correspondence of others about her. And, yet, I came away thinking I didn't really know her. She had a fascinating life, and was at the centre of some important European politics, including the Bismarckian unification of Germany which profoundly affected the balance of power in Europe. And yet, it left me flat.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 22 Jun 2015, 08:35

Palmer, Alan The Kaiser: Warlord Of the Second Reich

So, now I've done Queen Victoria (matriarch), the Empress Fredrick (eldest daughter), and Kaiser Bill (nutcase grandson). This was a short book relative to the previous door-stops, so it didn't have nearly as much depth. Mind you, that wasn't a bad thing since Kaiser Bill didn't have much depth himself. What a narcissistic, bombastic, deluded douchebag. Worth a read, and the continuity of the three books was quite useful.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 24 Jun 2015, 08:54

You seem to be on a reading binge, Baker. Unlike me who is only reading exams to mark them :(
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 27 Jun 2015, 09:21

Oh, cripes, Wild, I hope your exams are better than mine.

Q for a third year clinical biochemistry student: Describe the pathophysiology of kernicterus in the neonate.

A: The neonate is part of the digestive system, and when kernicterus is released from the stomach it makes the person sick.

Yes, my soul is utterly drained.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 27 Jun 2015, 10:44

:no: Half of them failed. They'll have another chance next week. Not looking forward to a new pile of exams.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Jun 2015, 00:27

Okay, I have no idea what kernicterus is or means, but I do know the answer should refer to something that happens to a newborn. The word neonate is a dead giveaway for someone with half a brain. Maybe that's the problem . . . so sorry, Fran. :(
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 29 Jun 2015, 07:23

Yes, exactly, Proof. Kernicterus is jaundice in newborns that causes brain damage if not treated. But like you I thought neonate was a giveaway. Holy crap, these people will be working in hospitals next year.....
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Jun 2015, 23:40

Now that is a terrifying prospect!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 06 Jul 2015, 08:43

Geoffrey Robertson, The Tyrannicide Brief

Now this was a fascinating book. The title refers to the brief given to then Solicitor-General, John Cooke, to prosecute King Charles I. This was after the second civil war, in 1649, when Parliament had beaten the royalists twice and King Charles had proven himself untrustworthy, duplicitous, and intransigent. The big problem though, is what do you charge a sovereign with? Rex est lex. The king is the law. Cooke had to address the problem of how to hold a king accountable when he was above the law, even after he made war on his own people--twice.

Robertson is a barrister, so this was a more indepth and nuanced look at the legal question than a historian might make. It sounds dry, but it was not at all.

Some of the principles that came out of this trial have been used since, such as the critical notion of command responsibility. (That was most dramatically used at Nuremburg.)

After the Restoration, of Charles II, Cooke was given a sham trial and then subject to a traitor's execution. But the Divine Right of kings was never quite the same.
Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Reading 2015